Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Penumbra and John Carpenter's the Thing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this may be a bit before some people's time, but Penumbra reminds me a lot of the 1982 film the Thing. It's not in the plot or anything, not even in that they have similar settings (Penumbra in Greenland, The Thing in Antarctica), but there is something... and I'm not even sure if it's the atmosphere, but there something about Penumbra that reminds me of this film. I guess it's that they are both well made horror stories in their respective mediums. Anyway I love that film and I love this game!
I was kinda thinking the same thing, even though I saw the movie at least 10 years ago. But that's what I loved about the game. Great atmosphere. Big Grin
Yeah. The winter, isolation, fleshy monsters, having to think a bit to survive and "parasites". Great movie, though I don't think I've seen it for six years.
woh.. havnt seen that movie since.. oh 1982.

Yes.. I can see the similarities.. for me its the desolation cold not-knowing-whats-round-the-corner feel that seems the same.

Mind you the most horrific moment in that movie was when they had to cut their thumbs to get a blood sample!
Sorry if this thread is old and I'm late to the party, but I love The Thing and I noticed the similarities right away. I thought it was obvious by the Kennel from black plague had to have been ripped straight from the movie, which was pretty cool.
I love The Thing, one of my favourite films. And Penumbra is one of my favourite games. =)
Hmm... well I havenĀ“t seen The Thing in a long while... maybe like ten years or something.

I hope they get the sequel right:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/
Eloff Carpenter? Wink
On a related note, has anyone played the The Thing video game that came out some years back? I thought it was a pretty neat game.
Yes.
Back then it was pretty scary.
Pages: 1 2