Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Question about end of Requiem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was pretty clear that the game was happening inside of Philip's mind, but what I am wondering is, if you collected all the artefacts and use that ending, is it implying that you dreamt the entire Penumbra series? Or, is he still in some bizarre dream, waking only into his memories, not really being on the boat?
What ending are you guys talking about "when you collect all the artefacts"?
I asked someone about it and they told me that there's no different ending if you collect them all...

Or is there?
If you collect all the artefacts in Requiem, you can opt to open the door behind you instead of pressing the button on the furnace. It is a different ending.

If you don't have all the artefacts, the door is locked.
Nah, that was fixed with the patch.
If you install the patch, you can open the door without collecting all of them.
Oh, OK, then. Any opinions on the ending?
If I recall correctly, there's the "painting" of the same room on the wall. This would indicate that it's not the same boat as at the beginning of Overture, but instead it's the boat from the hallucination sequence in Black Plague. Not sure what this implies, or if it was just a mistake.
Spoilers below.

Here's what I took from the ending of Requiem. Firstly, in the end of Black Plague, as the room is turning black and everything's vanishing all around you, just after Phillip sends out that email, what sounds like a zombie bursts in and you're lying there and it seems that he's dying. Then the game ends.

Requiem picks up RIGHT where that left off, and the whole game seems like some kind of lonely, surreal dream. And then come the memories... of Red, of Eminiss. It's so obvious that none of it is real, but you're still being tormented with memories of Red. Then at the end of Requiem, when you "meet up with" Red in the incinerator room again, he reminds you of how he wanted to die. Seemed as though he's trying to comfort you. Then if you jump into the incinerator with him, you burn, or if you leave you're forced to relive your horrible memories forever. What I took from it, is that the entirety of Requirm was Phillip in a sort of limbo, progressing through a myriad of his memories, by which he was coming to terms with them as he passed into death on the floor of the examination room.

Just my interpretation.