Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: The Collection (Linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys and gals. Just wanted to pop in with a few thoughts.

I came across your game from Blog of helios, and thought I would give it a try. Even though I am not much of a game player, how could such a tantalizing price be refused? Had no issues with ordering and downloading, but there was one hick-up I encountered installing. The machine is running PCLinuxOS (x86) in case your wondering. Right now the game lives on my daughters machine.

I decided first to run the install as a normal user and chose /opt as the install path. It warned me it would ask for root password, which it did, and the install seemed to proceed normally. But when I tried to launch the game (any of the three) it kept asking me for the serial number. Thinking there was a permissions issue I changed its directory to 755. No change. So instead of going down that path, I decided to reinstall as root to the same path. This time it did not ask me for the serial number when launching a game.

Didn't really have time to play much, but the little I did gave me the impression of a well done game. I have heard some complain the game is to dark but I think they just want to complain.

There is one disappointment I have and it has nothing to do with game play, its look and feel, etc. It is the hardware platforms supported. At first I was hesitant to purchase the game because 64 bit (no multi-lib) is not supported. I would encourage you to reconsider this. I would be more than happy to provide any help that I can, and test it on my machine. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this further.

I want to thank you for your efforts to support Linux in this area of games. I think it is a wonderful decision.

Fred

(07-19-2009, 02:20 PM)taurnil Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys and gals. Just wanted to pop in with a few thoughts.

I came across your game from Blog of helios, and thought I would give it a try. Even though I am not much of a game player, how could such a tantalizing price be refused? Had no issues with ordering and downloading, but there was one hick-up I encountered installing. The machine is running PCLinuxOS (x86) in case your wondering. Right now the game lives on my daughters machine.

I decided first to run the install as a normal user and chose /opt as the install path. It warned me it would ask for root password, which it did, and the install seemed to proceed normally. But when I tried to launch the game (any of the three) it kept asking me for the serial number. Thinking there was a permissions issue I changed its directory to 755. No change. So instead of going down that path, I decided to reinstall as root to the same path. This time it did not ask me for the serial number when launching a game.

Didn't really have time to play much, but the little I did gave me the impression of a well done game. I have heard some complain the game is to dark but I think they just want to complain.

There is one disappointment I have and it has nothing to do with game play, its look and feel, etc. It is the hardware platforms supported. At first I was hesitant to purchase the game because 64 bit (no multi-lib) is not supported. I would encourage you to reconsider this. I would be more than happy to provide any help that I can, and test it on my machine. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this further.

I want to thank you for your efforts to support Linux in this area of games. I think it is a wonderful decision.

Yes, they should definitely consider a native 64-bit client. Besides that, you can easily adjust the brightness settings. I say if you can see in the dark (non-stealth mode) without any light source the game is too bright, so turn it down a notch in the settings!

I seriously dislike how people do not follow the advice and play this on horribly bright settings as seen on some Youtube videos.