Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Linux Port
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw it on slashdot which linked to blog of helios. Its description there convinced me to check out the game. I'm glad developers are starting to make games run natively on GNU/Linux systems and bought a copy to support the cause. Thanks devs!

Nano
Just letting you guys know I saw from a number of Ubuntu blogs and Slashdot that you guys ported the game to Linux and I immediately purchased it. Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 with an nVidia GeForce 6800 and the whole Overture collection is running smoothly.

Great job!
One more Linux user here to weigh in. I heard about this from Slashdot as well and decided to give it a shot. I'm running Debian Lenny on an Intel Core 2 Duo with an Nvidia 9500GT video card.

My only two complaints:

1. The installer froze at the end of the install process and I had to kill it manually; however, all the game files installed correctly.

2. There was a weird graphics glitch in a tunnel on the 2nd level of Overture where a sort of "rear view mirror" box appeared for a few seconds. This box disappeared once I left the tunnel.

Other than that, everything ran flawlessly throughout all three games. I literally had no issues whatsoever -- no crashes, no other bugs, no clipping -- everything just worked beautifully. I just finished Requiem about 30 minutes ago and now my mind can return to normal after four days of REALLY strange nightmares Smile

Bravissimo to Frictional for making such a wonderful game, and for porting it to Linux!

Fred

(07-20-2009, 10:01 AM)nanopino Wrote: [ -> ]I saw it on slashdot which linked to blog of helios. Its description there convinced me to check out the game. I'm glad developers are starting to make games run natively on GNU/Linux systems and bought a copy to support the cause. Thanks devs!

Nano

I don't see it often that people respect the philosophy behind the whole idea and call it GNU/Linux. Somewhat surprised me to see this. Smile

I wish the Frictional Games crew would respect the philosophy (that got GNU/Linux to exist in the first place) by calling it GNU/Linux instead of Linux.
+1 to the devs on the Linux port. Couldn't beat the price either.

My Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit machine installed and played it just fine, it even ran the game over an SSH tunnel across the internet!... * note, ran as in opened the main screen, couldn't suffer the lag any longer* Although I do have many 32-bit libraries installed, as I use Wine as well, which is also only 32-bit.