Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Vintage FPS games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I like Hexen, though I play on the easiest difficulty so I can concentrate on solving puzzles and avoid getting killed by monsters. :redface:

Half Life 1 is very atmospheric and immersive... The expansion packs are OK, although a bit short. What liked most about was that they offered a different perspective on the same story... (ooops, shouldn´t talk too much about HL1 cause Lee will complain Tongue: )

I might be wrong but I think Chex Quest has been released as freeware.

System Shock 2 is a great game. Scary the first few times, on subsequent playthroughs the gameplay got me addicted. Sadly I´ve just played it to many times...

System Shock 1 is also great. Not as scary as part 2, yet also less linear. Despite quite ugly graphics (and in some levels horrible music) is quite an awesome game once you get used to the controls. It has lots of cool things that the sequel lacks (cyber hardware, cyberspace programs, jetpack, etc).
Half-Life is good, okay? Stop traumatizing me because I don't have as much fun out of it as you do. Sad

Can't really think of any vintage games that haven't already been mentioned here.
(08-03-2009, 11:07 PM)Lee Wrote: [ -> ]Half-Life is good, okay? Stop traumatizing me because I don't have as much fun out of it as you do. Sad
yeah, sorry. guess I was a bit of a prick there
No-ones mentioned Duke Nukem 3D!!!!!! Big Grin:
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, a 1998 release, its actually quite addictive, and has the fun of preparing your team members to your liking with a variety of weapons and armour.
And of course, House of the Dead, which was the first modern zombie shooter.
Also, the most ballsy studio at the time, EA placed swastika's in plain sight in their first Medal Of honour, removing world war 2 taboos.
And while Far Cry 1 may not be too old, it still is entertaining.
If vintage wasn't in the title I would have said Far Cry three times in a row.
Duke Nukem 3D was a great game. I loved the weapons (especially pipe bombs!) and the enemies were great too, even though they were not quite consistent with eachother. And Duke's one-liners were funny.

A bit off-topic but I guess we´ll never see Duke Nukem Forever.
(08-06-2009, 02:01 AM)spukrian Wrote: [ -> ]Duke Nukem 3D was a great game. I loved the weapons (especially pipe bombs!) and the enemies were great too, even though they were not quite consistent with eachother. And Duke's one-liners were funny.

A bit off-topic but I guess we´ll never see Duke Nukem Forever.

I think there was an official press release sometime in the last six months or so saying it was dropped.

And my favorites (though I didn't play them much) are Thief: Deadly Shadows and Wolfenstein (forgot the exact name, but I'm pretty sure it was released before 1995)
(08-25-2009, 06:19 AM)yman Wrote: [ -> ]I think there was an official press release sometime in the last six months or so saying it was dropped.

What happened is that 3dRealms fired the team that was working on the game. And then the publisher sued 3dRealms, trying to get control over the franchise. According to 3dRealms, the game will still be released, but I am in doubt.

Wolfenstein 3d was the game that started the FPS craze.

The Thief games are great. They are working on Thief 4 (actually it´s called Thi4f :mrgreen: ) right now.
Definitely have to agree that Blood is definitely one of the best vintage FPS's out there. Its sequel, however, definitely failed. It was fun, but it didn't have the same dark atmosphere as the original. Blood 2 was silly with a slightly dark overtone. Blood 1 was dark with a slightly silly overtone. Trust me, it makes all the difference in the world.

Half-Life 1, I'll grant, is a well made game, but I'm not a big fan of it either. It can be good and fun at times, but there are moments where it just gets annoying and frustrating, ESPECIALLY Xen. I hate Xen. I can tolerate jumping challenges, but when you've got little room for error (at avoiding falling damage), that's enough to kill a game for me.

Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear is definitely the best one out of that franchise, I think. Love the strategy, and the ability to plan our the mission before hand. Plus, despite how tough it can be, it's still a damn fun game. Rainbow 6 #3 just plain sucked, and all the ones after that look a little too much like the latter for me.

Never really liked Ken's Labyrinth...a little too weird. There's just something about using a...jelly blob for a weapon that makes me lose interest.

Hmm...can't really think of much that hasn't already been mentioned...would classic Unreal Tournament count as a vintage game?
I didn´t like Blood 2 either... it didn´t feel like Blood, it felt just like a regular, run-of-the-mill FPS.. kinda disappointing.

I actually liked Xen, though I understand why many people don´t. My main complaint with the Xen levels is that they are very hard compared with the rest of the game.
Pages: 1 2 3