Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Good Idea?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think a good idea would be if Frictional Games Would Release there engine for free download so other games could be based off of it(plz correct me if im wrong)
It wouldn't really benefit Frictional Games would it? Licensing out their engine on the other hand would be a smart idea to bring in extra cash to fund the next game/s.
(08-12-2009, 08:41 PM)Redgid Wrote: [ -> ]I think a good idea would be if Frictional Games Would Release there engine for free download so other games could be based off of it(plz correct me if im wrong)

Pff, companies which want to make an investment to make a game don't need the engine they use to be free. You just want it I'll bet Tongue
(08-13-2009, 05:34 AM)ShnitzelKiller Wrote: [ -> ]You just want it I'll bet Tongue

I guess so too.
I think it would be awesome if Frictional Games licensed out their engine to other companies. I´d love to see more games with the HPL engine.
Hmm... I don't like that idea. It's more of an Frictional Games' trademark and it would lose most of it's effect if many developers start to use it...

It's only my thought!
I love the sound part of the engine though. How does it work? It's different from other games I've played, it's different every time (sliding an object (friction) or hitting it against something).
On the other hand, it could help many new developers to start. And frictional whould get money from the license. I think it's a good idea, but it can't be for free, maybe some developers whould cheat with the license than.