Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Sublime Storytelling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, thought I'd make this post here as a small little discussion.
Just wondering everyones thoughts on the idea of something that doesn't tell the player anything;
rather, the story is all absorbed through the environment, and the players imagination generates the rest.
I feel that if this could be properly used it could have great effect, and simultaneously, create a scary and unnerving story could boost fear levels to a supreme high.
Sometimes the things that are scariest are the things that aren't there, but that you only expect and imagine.
So what do you all think on that?
I think it would be cool to see a custom story based around this idea.
I think it's the "unknown danger" what's scary, not the actual lack of story.
But go on, it could be interesting, you may find something.
(01-17-2015, 04:33 AM)valetheimpaler Wrote: [ -> ]Rather, the story is all absorbed through the environment, and the players imagination generates the rest.
I feel that if this could be properly used it could have great effect, and simultaneously, create a scary and unnerving story could boost fear levels to a supreme high.
Sometimes the things that are scariest are the things that aren't there, but that you only expect and imagine.
So what do you all think on that?
I think it would be cool to see a custom story based around this idea.

It's what I'm using for my own custom story. You were just given some relevant info and the rest is from the environment. So unless you read all of the diaries and notes, you won't completely know the story of the CS.