Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: (De)Activating ropes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As said in the title. I want to make the rope inactive to make it appear in puzzle later.

I tried deactivating both of the areas (Rope and PosNode), but no luck. Perhaps this isn't possible at all ? In that case maybe you know an entity/static object that I could use. I know there's one for chain, not sure if for rope. Oh, and I can't change it into a chain, it wouldn't make sense at all :\
Could you make a rope entity out of billboards? (You could make give it segmented bodies and hinge them. Be sure to make it a grab object so it moves and is switchable.)
And how is that done ? Wouldn't it look like few sticks joined together ?

Ps. I could also make it out of a billboard, but I don't think they can be deactivated.
(02-25-2015, 09:05 PM)Darkfire Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it look like few sticks joined together ?
Well, yeah, kinda. Depends on how many segments you want to give it. Maybe a static rope would be more convincing.

(02-25-2015, 09:05 PM)Darkfire Wrote: [ -> ]Ps. I could also make it out of a billboard, but I don't think they can be deactivated.
Make a switchable entity with a billboard attached to it.
You can also attach the billboard to a light and use FadeLightTo to fade the billboard out, either over time or instantly depending on the values you put.
I'm having a problem with creating the entity. When I open the folder with it in LvlEditor it crashes. I have a billboard, body (material: generic_soft), and it's set to object-static. Perhaps it's because it lacks a mesh ?
Yeah, it doesn't like entities without a mesh, so that could be it. Import the block_box mesh and set show/hide mesh in the properties.
I would use a copy of the chain entity/staticObject with a rope's texture.
That's an idea... gunna work on this right now

The block_box idea worked perfectly, problem solved.