Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Highest FPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone get high fps in Amnesia?

I've uncapped my FPS. I went into Documents/Amnesia/Main/main_settings.cfg and set "LimitFPS" from true to false.

If the link is blank, keep clicking till the picture shows up.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/x4j4mu.jpg

Also, will uncapping my FPS be a bad cause in any way?
I imagine it being unnecessary to uncap it from 60 if you have a 60Hz monitor. There's rarely any reason to have a higher FPS than the monitor's refresh rate as it won't be visible. I also think the game will appear more stable in FPS if it's capped to something it can always run, instead of jumping from 1000 to 1500 frequently.
What he said.

Also, I am in understanding that it might overheat the GPU to play with such high numbers. But that could be false, since I have no idea where I've heard such thing.
Sounds sensical to me. If the computer processes 1000 frames per second it will likely use much more power and generate more heat than if it were to process 60. Therefore I suggest not letting it run any higher than necessary. Of course, if you choose to do so anyway, it's probably not gonna be very noticeable either way, but it is something to keep in mind I suppose.

If you got a 144Hz monitor, you can uncap it and maybe see some improvements, but I'm unsure if you can set a custom cap there. Perhaps V-sync will cap it there, as it's supposed to cap it to your monitor.
There are no overheating issues, ridiculously high frames just show that the graphics card has no trouble rendering the scene. It makes no sense for the graphics card to struggle when it clearly does almost nothing at this particular scene. Fraps shows what the graphics card outputs, not what the monitor displays. The latter will effectively show 60 fps based on the frequency of operation set by the OEM. The only thing that you are going to see if you go more than 60 is tearing.