Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Somone in the subreddit of SOMA says the game is not that great optimized
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think you are being dramatic. The title itself says "isn't amazing, but not terrible either". That doesn't really mean it's badly optimized. just not that great.

But yeah, reading further...this is indeed a linear "corridor" game like Alien Isolation, and Isolation ran amazingly well. Plus, the graphics while solid are nothing to shout about, and there is a dark theme.

I think the biggest red flag is that the devs have said the game is locked to 30fps on the PS4, where most corridor based single player games are going at 60fps, like Alien Isolation and even the Metro games and others.

I looked at the min/recommended spec list and I thought this would be easy on most systems but guess I was wrong.
Too early to judge, first of all it depends per system, after release of the game there's a good chance Nvidia will release a driver that improves performance(Not sure about radeon).
Secondly, I don't trust any newly made reddit account, every account there on the soma subreddit is talking trash about the game which is suspicious by itself.

But I'll guess we'll find out ourselves on the day of release.
Felt I had to answer this as it might all been down to him not turning a certain NVidia feature off. My answer from the reddit thread:

Quote:Make sure that Threaded Optimizations are turned off for the SOMA exe in the Nvidia control panel. Nvidia has some OpenGL related issues that can lead to stutters on some systems with that feature turned on. A fix has been added to the final release version, but not in the review one.
This should have been in the review instructions, but want to make sure so this hasn't been missed, and that this is what lead to the drops in performance. Because of the PS4 version, more time have been put on optimization than any other game we have released. So really feel like most systems should run the game really well.
Related: The worst system I have run the game on is an ultrabook with a GT 620M and it runs ~30fps at 720 on that
(09-20-2015, 09:39 AM)Thomas Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The worst system I have run the game on is an ultrabook with a GT 620M and it runs ~30fps at 720 on that
On what settings was it running the game?

I have an I7-2600 @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 660 OC Ed, 16GB ram so I hope I can run it on max with 60fps.
If not, maybe something on medium or turned off.
1. None of those youtubers/streamers have a full copy of the game. According to Frictional, the preview version that they sent out a little while ago was a little under a third of the game and a lot of the features/mechanics were not fully implimented and likely not the final optimization.

2. As far as I have heard, the actual REVIEW copies didn't even go out until Saturday the 19th and even then, they were only sent to actual reviewers like IGN, GameSpot, ect. None of them would risk getting in trouble for streaming the whole game 3 days early.
(09-20-2015, 10:23 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: [ -> ]1. None of those youtubers/streamers have a full copy of the game. According to Frictional, the preview version that they sent out a little while ago was a little under a third of the game and a lot of the features/mechanics were not fully implimented and likely not the final optimization.

2. As far as I have heard, the actual REVIEW copies didn't even go out until Saturday the 19th and even then, they were only sent to actual reviewers like IGN, GameSpot, ect. None of them would risk getting in trouble for streaming the whole game 3 days early.

Since a Frictional employee saw it fit to reply to that guy, I doubt it is anything but the (near) final version of the game. Hate to burst your bubble dude.
(09-20-2015, 11:55 AM)private23 Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt it is anything but the (near) final version of the game. Hate to burst your bubble dude.

Yup, it might not be the full game, but it's still a part of the finished version nonetheless. (Sure they're still tweaking bugs but that doesn't affect the game as such.)
(09-20-2015, 12:11 PM)Sampyli Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2015, 11:55 AM)private23 Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt it is anything but the (near) final version of the game. Hate to burst your bubble dude.

Yup, it might not be the full game, but it's still a part of the finished version nonetheless. (Sure they're still tweaking bugs but that doesn't affect the game as such.)

Here's to hoping the final release version is smoother then.
(09-20-2015, 09:39 AM)Thomas Wrote: [ -> ]Felt I had to answer this as it might all been down to him not turning a certain NVidia feature off. My answer from the reddit thread:

Quote:Make sure that Threaded Optimizations are turned off for the SOMA exe in the Nvidia control panel. Nvidia has some OpenGL related issues that can lead to stutters on some systems with that feature turned on. A fix has been added to the final release version, but not in the review one.
This should have been in the review instructions, but want to make sure so this hasn't been missed, and that this is what lead to the drops in performance. Because of the PS4 version, more time have been put on optimization than any other game we have released. So really feel like most systems should run the game really well.
Related: The worst system I have run the game on is an ultrabook with a GT 620M and it runs ~30fps at 720 on that

That's a weird bottleneck to have. Nvidia's OGL support, like D3D's, always were better than ATIs. But if SOMA has issues even on Nvidia cards, I'm afraid to think what ATI users will face, heh.