Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: "Hey, this game detects where you are..."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
*Stars playing game, wanders around Simon's apartment.*

"Hey, Bloor and Spadina. They must have a thing that detects where you're playing and selects the nearest intersection."

"Hey, it's got the same postal code as my last apartment. I guess they must detect nearby postal codes, too."

"Oh, his apartment is in the same building as the student services office of my old university. Ha, this location-detector thing is pretty weird."

*Goes to lab.*

"Oh, whoa, they made a model of the CN tower? So, like, if I was playing in St. Louis would they have the Arch? Hey, that building looks kind of like a tiny 222 Jarvis..."

*Plays more. Gets run over by a robot. Gets to the comm centre.*

"Hey, they actually have them saying 'Toronto.' Did they record different takes with different cities? That seems like a lot of work..."

So finally (to kill time while Frictional figures out the damn comm room bug) I looked up some playthroughs on YouTube to see how people in other cities react to Simon's apartment being where they live...

And, nope, turns out it's not some location-detection add-on, it's actually set in Toronto.

The part of Toronto where I live. Down to the postal code.

Real creepy, guys.
Quote:So finally (to kill time while Frictional figures out the damn comm room bug) I looked up some playthroughs on YouTube to see how people in other cities react to Simon's apartment being where they live...

And, nope, turns out it's not some location-detection add-on, it's actually set in Toronto.
Or... every youtube playthrough you watched was made by somebody that lives near you!
(09-25-2015, 09:22 AM)kojack Wrote: [ -> ]Or... every youtube playthrough you watched was made by somebody that lives near you!

Listening to them read the newspaper clipping, it's pretty easy to tell they're not... : P
(09-25-2015, 09:22 AM)kojack Wrote: [ -> ]Or... every youtube playthrough you watched was made by somebody that lives near you!

actually the add-on doesn't only change the game based on where you live, it hacks youtube and changes all the audio you hear to also reflect that.

they really meant it when they said "immersion" Tongue
(09-25-2015, 09:32 AM)EnDash Wrote: [ -> ]actually the add-on doesn't only change the game based on where you live, it hacks youtube and changes all the audio you hear to also reflect that.

they really meant it when they said "immersion" Tongue

Well, they do start the game with a PKD quote, so I should've been prepared for that...
So, uh, why is the prologue set in Toronto? Cronenberg?