Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Anyone want a little help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, hi there?

Well since I have not exactly had a good history of finishing mods/custom stories, going at that for SOMA would not be the most wise thing to do.

However judging by that green number below my name, I dare say I have had success being somewhat useful to others in the past.

So instead of jumping into a project I will likely abandon eventually, I thought I would help some of you out a bit.

This is what I can help with/am capable of:
  • Mapping. Not a pro, especially not with complex effects and lightning. My XP is with HLPL2 only
  • Scripting. I did some basic scripting for HPL2, and tried out a few interresting things using work arounds. But I am by no means a high level scripter, and often do things in a non optimal way. I am not familiar with the new HPL3 scripts so it wil take some learning
  • Images. I can do some basic images with GIMP, dont expect high level stuff or painting of characters, but feel free to ask and I will tell you if I can do it.
  • Models. I can do some basic Blender models. I did do some more advanced/high quality stuff some times, but that usually takes a while for me, and I havent touched blender in forever.
  • Writing. My grammar is a bit off here and there but overall I am fairly confident in my writing.
  • Testing and Feedback
  • Misc and minor tasks. I am just trying to be a bit helpful, so if theres a repetitive thing you need taken care of or something let me know. Fx filling out bookshelves or rooms you cant be bothered with, or setting some extra thing up.
  • If you dont know if I can help try asking and I will decide myself

WHAT? you thought I would do something more grand for my 1000th post? deal with it!
If you can, I'd like you to teach me scripting, and lightning Smile
If you can, teach me everything ._.
Especially scripting.
I made texture in Blender and finish it in GIMP.
When I export bump texture, what compression, format should I use?
There is option of mipmap. Should I use it?

On older version of GIMP in Filter tab there was normal map. But in newer there is not any more.
If you can, always use .dds formats with GXT5 compression. I believe that's preferred. Feel free to enable mipmapping. It makes the textures less pixelated at an angle.
(10-03-2015, 01:40 PM)Mudbill Wrote: [ -> ]If you can, always use .dds formats with GXT5 compression. I believe that's preferred. Feel free to enable mipmapping. It makes the textures less pixelated at an angle.
Here is the 512*512 wall texture I wish to replace certain level
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1345...xture1.dds
It has bump effect and pixel glow effect.
I was reading some tutorials. I can't just replace it with existent texture and rename it, right?
Replacing another texture would probably make the reference to the original file use your texture again, but whether it would work well I don't know.

I didn't look at the file (because dds files are annoying to preview), but is this just a bump map? Shouldn't you apply it to a diffuse map?

Normally you keep a diffuse map for the texture, a bump map for bumps, normal map for normals and spec map for speculars (sometimes even more), and you apply each individual file to the diffuse material in the material editor.
(10-03-2015, 02:07 PM)Mudbill Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't look at the file (because dds files are annoying to preview), but is this just a bump map? Shouldn't you apply it to a diffuse map?
It's a texture with bump map on it.
Can your material,texturing,level editor tutorials be applied for SOMA too? Does editor have some difference and could I do something beyond repair?
(10-03-2015, 02:20 PM)brus Wrote: [ -> ]It's a texture with bump map on it.
Can your material,texturing,level editor tutorials be applied for SOMA too? Does editor have some difference and could I do something beyond repair?
The editor is 5 years newer it will have changes, but fundamentally it is the same.

About the people wanting help with Scripting I am limited as I said but I might be able to help you out with learning.

Since there is 2 of you asking I think it is better that we all help one another out rather than me helping you separately.

If you want me to support you in learning I will need some sort of way to contact you, like a your steam or skype or something.

---

other people wanting help feel free to keep asking
(10-03-2015, 03:03 PM)The Mug Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2015, 02:20 PM)brus Wrote: [ -> ]It's a texture with bump map on it.
The editor is 5 years newer it will have changes, but fundamentally it is the same.

About the people wanting help with Scripting I am limited as I said but I might be able to help you out with learning.

Since there is 2 of you asking I think it is better that we all help one another out rather than me helping you separately.

If you want me to support you in learning I will need some sort of way to contact you, like a your steam or skype or something.

---

other people wanting help feel free to keep asking

Well my steam is"[๖Ger๖] Power". If you want to add me, go ahead :L
(Im not really sure if i should post this to you with a PM or right here. Meh.)
I'm going to assume your name is "The Mug"? ._.
Pages: 1 2