Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia Price!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I'm not sure if the devs or other Frictional Games team members read this, but the pricing on their new title "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" is crazy!

I loved the Penumbra series and honestly I would pay full price for this new game. Most new games these days are $100 or more. Obviously the $20 pricing will encourage more people to atleast "try" the game if they're new to it, but to all the loyal customers I'm sure they'd happily pay much more than $20 for such a great looking game.
I was honestly expecting a $30-40 price point, with hope that it'd be $30. So to come in at $20, and even $16 for prepurchasers was a really nice surprise. Thank you Frictional, and I hope the low price point gets the sales you guys deserve!
Not many people would pay full price for a pre-order of a game they haven't heard of from an independent developer, of whose games they haven't played any of.

Having a cult following means some people will pay really high prices, but a lot of people won't pay anything at all.
I thought Amnesia would cost more, too. 12,50€ is really well priced, so I pre-ordered it directly. Almost couldn't believe it. So, hopefully it pushes sales.

I agree with you, Akong. I think with a price like that, more people will give it a try. Full priced it would be mostly fans of the Penumbra games buying Amnesia and I don't know if that would be as good as a lower price and hopefully more buyers.
(02-28-2010, 09:58 PM)FreundHein Wrote: [ -> ]I thought Amnesia would cost more, too. 12,50€ is really well priced, so I pre-ordered it directly. Almost couldn't believe it. So, hopefully it pushes sales.

I agree with you, Akong. I think with a price like that, more people will give it a try. Full priced it would be mostly fans of the Penumbra games buying Amnesia and I don't know if that would be as good as a lower price and hopefully more buyers.
I can not guarantee that I would have pre-ordered if the price was that of any other game, mainly because I usually don't pre-order anything, especially at such an early stage. I'd need a lot more convincing in any case.

When a developer is just starting out, having only released a single series, which is considered very good but by very few people, their main focus is to gain attention, not money. The money comes later.
If you feel like paying more you can always pre-order more copies.