Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Crash when entering chemical labs (Black Plague)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I unlocked the chemical labs door using the computer in the research lab. I leave and go to the chemical labs door. When I click on the door to enter, it switches to the loading screen. After a few moments, I'm kicked back to the desktop. The client shows its Black Box dialogue and it says the following:
"Penumbra.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Penumbra.exe at 0023:00502B05". FYI, this version of Black Plague was purchased and downloaded from the online store. So from what I've read it should already have the latest patch.

This occurs EVERY single time I attempt to go into the chemical labs, regardless of my settings. Here are my specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
RAM: 4gigs DDR3
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
Sound card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Thanks in advance for your help!

(As of 6/2/2010) On the suggestion of a friend, I tried changing the compatibility setting on the executable to Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista. The issue still occurred. I also tried deleting the default_settings.cfg file. That didn't fix it either. Sad
Bump. Still waiting for an answer. (My apologies if this seems rude.)
I think that the only solution is to replay from a saved game from before you entered the chemical labs the first time.

You can also go to My Documents/Penumbra/Black Plague/ and take the hpl.log and upload it here, it might provide some more info.
I've unfortunately tried playing from an earlier saved game and the crash still occurred. Here's the hpl.log file that you suggested I upload. Thanks.
Actaully, I solved the issue. I read that log file that you told me to upload and it looked like it wasn't able to read certain files. I figured that could be due to some problem when I installed the game... So I went ahead and reinstalled the game. And voila, it now works. Smile