Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Trying to develop on OS X 10.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am brand new to game development but when I saw that this game's source code was available I gathered two of my friends together in order to jump on the opportunity of being able to try our hand at making video games.

I am having some trouble getting everything to compile on my machine and none of the guides seem to really solve my problems. I am working on the latest version of Mac OS X tiger (10.4.11) on a 32bit intel mac. I open the penumbra xcode project and it will not successfully build (I have no idea how to use xcode to begin with, i personally detest it I'd much rather use eclipse for everything). Judging by the errors and warnings xcode spits out it seems that 10.4 is not a supported OS for building this game.

Anyone out there know if this is true? If it is possible to build and develop this game given my current hardware/software configuration, any tips on building without using xcode?

I am not a native C++ guy myself, we learned java in school but I am more than willing to spend the time learning in order to understand and possibly contribute to this project.
the Penumbra Overture does compile on 10.4, as I am building using the 10.4 SDK for the production binaries. If you could post the errors then it would be easier to identify the issue. I'm sure it's just a missing dependency.

In Theory you could use the CMakeLists files that are included to generate raw Makefiles or an eclipse project.. However the cmake files are written specifically for linux builds at the moment. You can also just use eclipse or netbeans or whatever to edit the files and just use xcodebuild to build from the command line.
(08-01-2010, 02:29 PM)Urkle Wrote: [ -> ]the Penumbra Overture does compile on 10.4, as I am building using the 10.4 SDK for the production binaries. If you could post the errors then it would be easier to identify the issue. I'm sure it's just a missing dependency.

In Theory you could use the CMakeLists files that are included to generate raw Makefiles or an eclipse project.. However the cmake files are written specifically for linux builds at the moment. You can also just use eclipse or netbeans or whatever to edit the files and just use xcodebuild to build from the command line.

Thanks a lot for replying. I am really glad to know that you can build on 10.4. Right now I am too tired to even look at the project (I know it isnt that long or hard I just don't have the patience is what I really mean)... first thing tomorrow I am going to try building again and then post the errors along with some questions I have about setting up the source code in an eclipse project.