Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Sound: Use Hardware - Can't enable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't seem to enable the use of hardware for processing surround sound. Every time I turn it On and restart the game, it goes back to Off. Do I need to meet some specific requirements for the game to remember the choice?
If you are running windows 7 I do not think it works, as if I recall correctly there is no hardware openal support any longer. It does not work on Linux/Mac either, so only Vista or XP should qualify.
(08-26-2010, 01:40 PM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]If you are running windows 7 I do not think it works, as if I recall correctly there is no hardware openal support any longer. It does not work on Linux/Mac either, so only Vista or XP should qualify.

Update: Not even Vista Wink Also, you can't have hardware enabled even on XP if your sound card doesn't support DirectSound3D.
That's too bad. Thanks for the replies, guys. Smile
Hey guys. I'm also experiencing this issue. I'm running the Release Preview of Win 8 (64-bit) and every time that I restart the game after enabling the "Use hardware" option, it changes to "Off". I've just finished the Overture and the surround sound worked (with the OpenAl Soft workaround that I found here:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426011&page=3). However, the workaround doesn't work for the Black Plague. Does the Black Plague use different system for surround than the Overture?