Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Downloading the game on release day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Out of curiosity, is there a plan to keep the servers from being overloaded on release day? I don't think anyone want's to download a 1 GB file at 20 kb/s.

(Perhaps letting some of the people who pre-ordered download early and then seed the torrent?)
Steam can handle such a puny amount of downloaders.
(09-03-2010, 03:17 AM)malachi1990 Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity, is there a plan to keep the servers from being overloaded on release day?

I like your optimism, but I doubt it will be an issue, especially with the Steam activation keys taking a large chunk of the bandwidth hit.
I am fairly confident it will not be a problem. As said there is Steam and they will not have a problem I assume taking care of the few downloads we have, compared to when they release things like Alien Swarm...

For ourselves the game is hosted on a file cloud, so it should be more than capable to handle quite a bit of downloads. Beyond that, if it turns out to be a problem with the bandwidth we can get a torrent up and running quickly.
Cool, I had forgotten about Steam (*facepalm*).
(09-03-2010, 01:59 PM)malachi1990 Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, I had forgotten about Steam (*facepalm*).

It happens to all of u....wait? Did you forgot steam?? OMG LOLZ
Naw just kidding
Not too hard as I use linux exclusively. Smile
Good to hear there won't be any speed problems on release. I wanna play it as soon as possible Smile
(09-03-2010, 05:47 PM)malachi1990 Wrote: [ -> ]Not too hard as I use linux exclusively. Smile

Well, there are rumors of Steam coming to Linux soon. Smile