Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(09-04-2010, 11:34 PM)oblisk Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, old timer Penumbra fan here. I just played the demo.

But the performance is quite disappointing.

q9550 @ 3.7
GTX 480
(latest drivers)

Played at 2560x1600, everything max, SSAO seems to be the dealbreaker. I can't even set SSAO over 8 before it chugs.

Similar setup, the fix for me was disabling Windows aero. See if that improves, if it does try re-enabling aero again after exiting the game. Now I can run with aero with no issues.
The demo was great. Made my heart thump and my brow sweaty. The last water area was intense!

The improved interaction controls work well, although the sensitivity on opening doors felt a bit high. I also like how that when you pick something up, it sticks to the rotation it was in when you took it, even if you bump it into another object. Very useful.

It ran great on my computer. All settings on High/On, SSAO samples at 32, 1280x1024: 50-60fps.
AMD Phenom II X3, Ati HD4890, Win 7 64-bits

The only real problem I had was with Alt-Tabbing. It locks my mouse cursor and sometimes just goes to a black screen.
(09-05-2010, 12:02 AM)oblisk Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2010, 11:43 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2010, 11:34 PM)oblisk Wrote: [ -> ]Played at 2560x1600,

I don't think Amnesia is made for dualscreen setups, try restarting and playing it on just one screen?

That is a one-screen setup. 30".

And there is absolutely no reason for small or big developers to omit multi-screen support. With the rise of multi-monitor gaming, not supporting these these setups will only create rage from the community. Look at the whole widescreen support fiasco.

"Multi-monitor gaming"? Sorry, get back to me when monitors have zero borders on them and transitioning your eyes from one to another is seamless.

Also ssao is super intensive.

I ran everything on literal max on my system (including 128 ssao which is overkill, its rendering each part 128 times, a second. even the most beefiest setups will fall to it's knees.) and it ran like 15fps at 1920x1080

phenom II x3 720 @ 3.2GHz, 8gb DDR2 ram in DC, 1gb ati 4890
amazing game

Frictional Games RLZ
(09-05-2010, 12:02 AM)oblisk Wrote: [ -> ]And there is absolutely no reason for small or big developers to omit multi-screen support. With the rise of multi-monitor gaming, not supporting these these setups will only create rage from the community. Look at the whole widescreen support fiasco.

You realize Frictional Games consists of like, 5-6 full time guys, right? Do you have any idea how much work these guys put into the games already? There is absolutely no reason to demand a feature that so few people would even want to use.

Even with that said, I'm sure if they had the resources to implement support for it, they would do so, but they likely have a lot more pressing issues to attend to than support for a feature < 1% of gamers would even benefit from.
Widescreen, multimonitor etc, it is all cool and so on but it's still below the numbers. The big companies consider it a nice bonus at the moment, nothing more, nothing less.

Tiny companies will look more in the direction of more practical things.

By the way, great performance here, dual 9800 gtx.
(09-05-2010, 01:24 AM)Gvaz Wrote: [ -> ]"Multi-monitor gaming"? Sorry, get back to me when monitors have zero borders on them and transitioning your eyes from one to another is seamless.
Obviously, you are someone who has never spent a generous amount of time on an eyefinity/multi-monitor setup. Multi-monitor gamers ALL agree that the bezel melts away during gameplay. Do not mock multi-monitor gaming just because you have no experience with it.

(09-05-2010, 02:52 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: [ -> ]You realize Frictional Games consists of like, 5-6 full time guys, right? Do you have any idea how much work these guys put into the games already?
Of course I know FG is a small indie group. I suggest you take a look at my join date.

(09-05-2010, 02:52 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: [ -> ]There is absolutely no reason to demand a feature that so few people would even want to use.
First, I am not demanding anything.

Second, you are absolutely wrong in that so "few people" do not use proper widescreen resolutions, with proper +Hor, -Vert, etc. Proper widescreen support and multi-display support is reaching mandatory levels. Now, I know that the engine FG use is very flexable.

WSGF has even given Penumbra a generous score for proper widescreen support:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/for...hp?t=10124

You say that multi-display is something that a "so few people would even want to use" and while it is considered a niche by today's standards, it will grow into a more standardized model. Just take a look at the history of widescreen gaming. Developers, both small and big must take into account this fact. Omitting proper widescreen/multi-display in their games is a dealbreaker for many.

I suppose I am WSGF's ambassador. Smile

(09-05-2010, 02:52 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: [ -> ]Even with that said, I'm sure if they had the resources to implement support for it, they would do so, but they likely have a lot more pressing issues to attend to than support for a feature < 1% of gamers would even benefit from.

What are you talking about? I am pretty sure Penumbra and Amnesia supports multi-displays with ini hacks and whatnot.

Penumbra on an eyefinity setup:
[Image: penumbra.jpg]
Just got through the demo without dying once for the first time!

I never thought about actually RUNNING during the first water section, so that I could keep ahead of the creature and so worry less about never touching the water and so not have to always keep to the crates and boxes and so more easily make it to the gate in time.

Secondly, I never realised that it was possible just to open the second gate a bit at a time, so I could chuck the monster a chunk of corpse, open the valve a bit while it was busy and then get back on the crates, and repeat until the gate was open just wide enough for me to duck under it.

I probably appear to be very slow and stupid now.
An important lesson from my first playtrough is to let the watermonster start eating the flesh before I jump into the water as that makes me it's target again if it isn't eating anything. I died on my first attempt because when I reached the door it was right behind me and too bad it opened outwards making me slam into the door first and get a monster bite my ass second.
The demo was really intense in an awesome way. I really hated those red thingies that are on the floors and on walls because I accidentally tried to hide in a corner filled with that red substance and at least some of you should know what happened. There's no way I'm going to go anywhere near those things ever again. Big Grin

I died on my first attempt on the watermonster place. On the second attempt everything went smoothly (although it was almost too intense, which is a good thing). When I got to the valve I noticed that the monster got stuck in some crates so it was probably easier than supposed to be for me.

The game should be really awesome based on the demo so I'm really looking forward to it. In times like this I really wish I could just travel through time if you know what I mean. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16