Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Model Editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyways like the title says i read an interview on amnesia and jens said there is going to be a model editor will we expect to see this or is it just a scrapped idea?
speed reply!

Model editor, level editor and other tools will be released shortly after the game is released. So no tools as part of the regular game install, but as a separate package to download.

To be clear the model editor is not a tool for making models, it is a tool for making models behave in certain ways and have certain properties. For example if you have a door you have modeled and want it to behave like a door in game, you use the model editor to add a joint, colliders and set it to be a "swingdoor" entity, which then further can be tweaked to have tons of settings with what sounds it plays when you interact, the weight of the door etc
I guess you would use Blender or any other modeller that can export in a certain fileformat for the model-making?
(09-05-2010, 05:36 PM)lobban Wrote: [ -> ]I guess you would use Blender or any other modeller that can export in a certain fileformat for the model-making?

I tried using Blender to make objects/levels for Penumbra, but it didn't really work. Seems that Blenders (2.5) collada-exporter is broken (UV-textures are not exported). In Blender 2.49 it doesn't work either. So in the near future i don't think there is a way to put your own scary things into amnesia or penumbra (unless you've got the money to buy Maya). If you want to you can checkout blenders svn repository. If you get it to work please tell me...
I remember Jens recording a video were he made an object in Blender and exported it into the engine, I have no idea what exporter he used though.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70PnYi54go4
Yeah, Blender 2.49 worked (should work) really well. But 2.5 beta was last I tested not fully functional in the collada department.
(09-05-2010, 06:49 PM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, Blender 2.49 worked (should work) really well. But 2.5 beta was last I tested not fully functional in the collada department.

Ok, Blender 2.49, but which exporter? The python script or the opencollada thing (the one you have to compile first and then link it when you build the blender executable)
To be honest, i built blender 2.49 with opencollada support but i dont find the menu where you can export your model...
I've only used blender versions that are either on mac, windows or as a package for ubuntu. so whatever collada export function there is by default, probably the python script I'm guessing.

I was sloppy before, should have said that this was for making stuff for Amnesia. Not Penumbra, Penumbra I would guess is a quest bound to fail.