Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: One small request; It is not Constantinople it is Istanbul!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(09-06-2010, 02:09 PM)nofsky Wrote: [ -> ]This is a story driven game, so calling the city Istanbul when, in 1839, it was known as Constantinople just makes the story weaker and less believable.

If you are, as you say, very sensitive about this then that is your problem. I'm sure the developers had no intention to be insensitive when using the name but were just trying to be accurate to the time period the game takes place in.

I 100% agree.
Hi,

Using Constantinople is by no means meant to be insulting, it is simply what Daniel, an Englishman living in the 19th century, calls the city.

In one of the commentaries, I actually talk about some inspiration that the game has from Istanbul, and then I refer to the city as Istanbul Smile

Hope that clears everything up.
Thank you very much Thomas.
If you developers by any chance come by to Istanbul, I'd be honored to accomodate; as I actually live there Tongue
(09-07-2010, 09:04 AM)Thomas Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Using Constantinople is by no means meant to be insulting, it is simply what Daniel, an Englishman living in the 19th century, calls the city.

In one of the commentaries, I actually talk about some inspiration that the game has from Istanbul, and then I refer to the city as Istanbul Smile

Hope that clears everything up.

Thank you Thomas. This is what I wanted to hear. Smile
I don't understand why some people in this thread were being so hostile it was a simple question put fairly politely.

I can imagine another situation where this question could potentially have saved a game from cultural insensitivity, imagine for example if someone had managed to dissuade the developers of the horribly insensitive Velvet Assassin from some of their more questionable decisions, the world would be a better place without that game in it.
(09-07-2010, 11:18 AM)The Sombrero Kid Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why some people in this thread were being so hostile it was a simple question put fairly politely.

I can imagine another situation where this question could potentially have saved a game from cultural insensitivity, imagine for example if someone had managed to dissuade the developers of the horribly insensitive Velvet Assassin from some of their more questionable decisions, the world would be a better place without that game in it.

Wrong, if you read the topic, you'd see that they requested FG to change it.

Not ask why they did it.
(09-07-2010, 11:21 AM)MulleDK19 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2010, 11:18 AM)The Sombrero Kid Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why some people in this thread were being so hostile it was a simple question put fairly politely.

Not ask why they did it.

I didn't say that they asked why they did it I said they requested it changed politely.
(09-07-2010, 11:30 AM)The Sombrero Kid Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2010, 11:21 AM)MulleDK19 Wrote: [ -> ]

Not ask why they did it.

I didn't say that they asked why they did it I said they requested it changed politely.

(09-07-2010, 11:18 AM)The Sombrero Kid Wrote: [ -> ]it was a simple question put fairly politely.

(09-06-2010, 08:26 AM)acare Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you will change the name of Constantinople to Istanbul

Not a question.
OK, since Thomas have answered and the original poster was happy, I start to smell this thread is turning into a battle ground...

Closed.
Pages: 1 2 3