Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia vs Penumbra
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I was thinking we could make a thread to discuss the similarity and differences between Amnesia and Penumbra. Maybe a common theme? Philip's perspective on things against Daniels.

I know Amnesia's not even out yet, but it's so close and I all I want to do right now is talk about it! Big Grin

Anyways, I was thinking that the games seem very different especially with the setting. Penumbra is in the present and Amnesia is in the Dark Ages (Maybe?). Then again, maybe they're just switching from the Black Plague to the Bubonic Plague. lol

Yeah, I don't have much to say, lol. I'd rather just hear what you guys have to think.
The date on the letter Daniel wrote to himself was in 1839 I believe.
Philip constantly resisted going insane. Daniel seems to already be fully insane. So his journey will be quite different. Amnesia also seems to have a much deeper, much bigger evil source causing the madness. I can't wait to see what goes on Big Grin
Dollar pegging it on cosmic horror or a lovecraftian god...

Which would rule. Smile
Both of them are Epic in thier Own right
I liked all the Penumbra games, aside from Clarence Quest. From what I've seen of Amnesia, it looks like the game has more of an aimless feel, where both you and your character are equally lost and unsure of themselves and their surroundings. In Penumbra your character was on a mission, they had a goal. In Amnesia all you have is a note from yourself telling you that you have to kill someone you've never even heard of before. How can I be sure that I'm even Daniel? How can I be sure this note was written by myself? How can I know I'm not being tricked? I really can't. Oh well, here goes nothing. That's the feeling I get going into Amnesia, where as Penumbra I knew why I was where I was, I was there by choice, and I was making progress towards a goal I had in mind before I even got control of my character.

I also want to say that if Amnesia has a Clarence equivalent I will jump off a bridge. A tall bridge, that goes over a canyon. The entirety of Black Plague was played with a cab driver leaning over my shoulder making intentionally annoying unhelpful comments about the game I was playing.
(09-08-2010, 04:09 AM)Mikezila Wrote: [ -> ]I also want to say that if Amnesia has a Clarence equivalent I will jump off a bridge. A tall bridge, that goes over a canyon. The entirety of Black Plague was played with a cab driver leaning over my shoulder making intentionally annoying unhelpful comments about the game I was playing.

lol, yeah, in the demo there was that guy telling you to keeps strait. I idk what that was, but I dont think this guy is going to make some stupid pun every five seconds. Maybe it wont be so bad.

I typically don't like games or movies that take place in this time period with castles and what not, but I think I'm actually going to like this one. Amnesia has that same drive to keep playing like in Penumbra. Your scared as piss, but you keep playing because you want to know what the hell is going on.

They already got me hooked just by the demo. Wondering how Daniel got there, where he is, or what's going to happen next. I can imagine that there was a similar feel for the people who played Black Plague first in the penumbra series.