Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Why is the engine frame-rate limited?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello,

I couldn't understand why I was getting no more than 60FPS @ 1920x1200, regardless of my settings.

I took a look in "main_settings.cfg" and noticed an entry <Engine LimitFPS="true".

When I changed this to <Engine LimitFPS="false", my frame-rate went from 60FPS to over 80FPS.

So, my question is, what is the purpose of the limit? Huh

And why is there still screen tearing with this setting, as it pretty much does the same thing as Vsync? Huh
Fpslimit is a very welcome and needed option to prevent certain configs from rendering at >100fps and functioning as a room heater. I have no idea what you mean with 'same as vsync', vsync inherently lowers your framerate to a multiple of your monitors vertical refresh rate (lcds being 60h I assume). If vsync is off you can't expect to get rid of screen tearing simply by turning off fpslimit and reaching 80 fps.
(09-09-2010, 06:09 AM)Creid Wrote: [ -> ]Fpslimit is a very welcome and needed option to prevent certain configs from rendering at >100fps and functioning as a room heater.

You have to be kidding....

(09-09-2010, 06:09 AM)Creid Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what you mean with 'same as vsync

Then read my post again, I was very clear and precise.

Again, on my system it limits my frame-rate to 60FPS. That's the same as enabling Vsync.

(09-09-2010, 06:09 AM)Creid Wrote: [ -> ]If vsync is off you can't expect to get rid of screen tearing simply by turning off fpslimit and reaching 80 fps.

I'll make it crystal clear for you, as you didn't understand what I said:

With it set to true (default), my frame-rate is locked to 60FPS (even with Vsync off), and yet I still get screen tearing.
(09-09-2010, 06:36 AM)Kleetus Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2010, 06:09 AM)Creid Wrote: [ -> ]Fpslimit is a very welcome and needed option to prevent certain configs from rendering at >100fps and functioning as a room heater.

You have to be kidding....

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/starc...-20100729/

Limiting the framerate to 60 is a very reasonable thing to do. Plus you can change it if you really want, so what's the issue?
(09-09-2010, 06:44 AM)MattF Wrote: [ -> ]Limiting the framerate to 60 is a very reasonable thing to do. Plus you can change it if you really want, so what's the issue?

This isn't Starcraft, and it's extremely rare for this to happen. Just about all games can run fine with no cap.

Also, this isn't about the menu, this limits the entire game to 60FPS.

Anyway, modern hardware has mechanisms to cope with overheating.

And the issue is if it limits the frame-rate to 60FPS, why is there still screen tearing?

EDIT: FYI, limiting the frame-rate affects the input responsiveness of the game (IE input lag).
Because limiting the framrate to 60 has nothing to do with syncing the rendering to the update of the screen, that is why you need to have vsync enabled to remove the tearing.

Having a stable FPS is preferred over having something that fluctuates, that is why it is locked to 60 as there is no need for it to be higher. You can turn it off as you have noticed.
(09-09-2010, 06:52 AM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]Because limiting the framrate to 60 has nothing to do with syncing the rendering to the update of the screen, that is why you need to have vsync enabled to remove the tearing.

I just found this really good explanation of why this is so if you're interested kleetus:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593
(09-09-2010, 06:52 AM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]Because limiting the framrate to 60 has nothing to do with syncing the rendering to the update of the screen, that is why you need to have vsync enabled to remove the tearing.

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't it the same thing though, it's locking my frame-rate to 60FPS, which is the same as my refresh rate?

Anyway, although it's not really relevant, I can't enable Vsync as I get an "access violation error".

(09-09-2010, 06:52 AM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]Having a stable FPS is preferred over having something that fluctuates

I understand and appreciate that, for a lot of games it can mean the difference between being playable and not.

But what's the point of having a Vsync option, as this does the exact same thing?

(09-09-2010, 06:52 AM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]that is why it is locked to 60 as there is no need for it to be higher

With this point, I beg to differ.

Limiting the frame-rate can affect input responsiveness.

For me, runnning the game at 60FPS creates input lag.

At 80FPS, it's like playing another game, it's much smoother.

My specs
---------

Intel Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz.
4GB DDRII Ram
SAPPHIRE 4890 Factory OC with 10.8 drivers
X-Fi Fatality sound card
Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp @ 1920x1200.
(09-09-2010, 06:54 AM)MattF Wrote: [ -> ]I just found this really good explanation of why this is so if you're interested kleetus

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate the post, but I already know what it is.

This game, by default, limits my frame-rate to 60FPS.

My monitor's refresh rate is 60.

Enabling Vsync limits the frame-rate to 60FPS.
This is not a FPS online game, where they set fps to like 125 etc. There is just no need for it in such game as Amnesia...
I can't really understand your problem. You can't compare simple frame-rate limiter to a Vertical Sync as these are done differently. The effect is similar (fps lock) but only that... So stop crying! If you can't stand tearing - activate v-sync. If you can't stand fps lock - deactivate it and even drop your settings, so you can achieve like 150fps... You can't have BOTH.
If you can't activate v-sync within game, maybe try forcing it with graphics driver?
(09-09-2010, 07:21 AM)Mayron Wrote: [ -> ]This is not a FPS online game, where they set fps to like 125 etc. There is just no need for it in such game as Amnesia...

You obviously didn't read my post regarding input lag.

Read up on what relationship frame-rate has to input responsiveness.

(09-09-2010, 07:21 AM)Mayron Wrote: [ -> ]rate limiter to a Vertical Sync as these are done differently

As you're obviously a genius, explain how it's different when the limit is the same as my refresh rate?

(09-09-2010, 07:21 AM)Mayron Wrote: [ -> ]So stop crying!

No one's "crying". You seem closer to that than anyone here...

(09-09-2010, 07:21 AM)Mayron Wrote: [ -> ]If you can't stand tearing - activate v-sync.

You don't read very well, do you?

I already stated I can't enable it in-game.

And no, I don't want to enable it in via my drivers.

(09-09-2010, 07:21 AM)Mayron Wrote: [ -> ]If you can't stand fps lock - deactivate it and even drop your settings, so you can achieve like 150fps

That's not the issue, not even close. I already know how to remove the limit.

I never said I "couldn't stand it". Read my posts again, maybe?
Pages: 1 2 3 4