Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What would you like to see from Frictional next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
I would love to see something akin to the first Alien movie. That is sci-fi horror done right.
I would like to see a remake of the Penumbra games but with better graphics (Not to imply that the graphics are bad just a bit outdated, kinda) + longer gametime! Whos with me? Big Grin
I don't think any of the gameplay from Penumbra needs to be tweaked at all, but a port to HPL3 with the better controls of the newer engine and possibly a revised map lighting pass now that the engine is more forgiving. That's not really cost effective development, though. I'd prefer a new game.
I'd just like to see them continuing to up the ante. With Amnesia setting the bar so high for atmosphere and fear, it'd be nice if the next game could build on that.

I think they need to work on the random factor for certain monster encounters, or at least multiple scenarios. I was guilty of peeking ahead of my own gameplay for a few minutes here and there in a let's play and it really does limit the scare factor when encounters are the same for everyone. An element of randomness would up the replay value as well.

I'm a sucker for hell-ish environments too. I can't imagine how creepy a Frictional game would be with a Silent Hill type of environment. I guess you can only go so far without ripping games off, but in any case the location and map design is very important in adding fear. They did a great job with the castle in Amnesia.
(10-29-2010, 01:49 AM)Natural Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a sucker for hell-ish environments too. I can't imagine how creepy a Frictional game would be with a Silent Hill type of environment. I guess you can only go so far without ripping games off, but in any case the location and map design is very important in adding fear. They did a great job with the castle in Amnesia.

I encourage Frictional to rip off as many survival-horror games as they want since they all stunk so bad.

JRPG androgynous characters with a little spattered blood and scattered corpses was never scary. I tried up until Silent Hill 2 and just gave up.

I'm still waiting on a decent version of those concepts. And Frictional, I'm coming down there and we're gonna throw down if I ever see anime-style characters in your games.
(10-29-2010, 04:08 PM)BeefJerky Wrote: [ -> ]JRPG androgynous characters with a little spattered blood and scattered corpses was never scary. I tried up until Silent Hill 2 and just gave up.

[...]we're gonna throw down if I ever see anime-style characters in your games.

I must live in an alternate reality from you, with your androgynous anime-style Harry Mason and James Sunderland and JRPG-style Silent Hill.
I think Frictional Games' graphics are great, because not everyone can run high end graphics. The graphics are actually amazing and no one is going to buy your game just because the graphics are better. Less people will because they wont have to computer to run it. I am one of those people and would be very saddened if I couldn't play your next game just because it was beyond my operating systems capability.

I think if you look at games like Silent Hill and Farenheit etc Their environments feel more open and I think that is the next big step, not a mine or a castle that is very linear a more down to earth setting. In a town or a village more exploration elements basically would be nice and more choice. Another game that is still just like Penumbra/Amnesia would still be a great game but switching it up is needed and I think the ability to fight back even just a little bit is a good one because it gives the game more of a "I am in control" feel. Not being able to fight back in Amnesia was all well and good but there was more of an immersion feel in Overture because you knew you COULD fight back but playing on hard kept it difficult to.
Quote:I must live in an alternate reality from you, with your androgynous anime-style Harry Mason and James Sunderland and JRPG-style Silent Hill.

Are you kidding? If you don't think the art style of Silent Hill looks like JRPG artwork then I guess you don't play many Japanese MMOs or games in general.

Anyway, I'm confident Frictional won't be putting characters that look like they just stepped out of a hair salon in future games. My point was those games were terrible if you were looking for scares. Rooms with copious amounts of blood spattered everywhere doesn't really do much when you're either just running right past enemies like they aren't even there or blowing their head off.

Good games? Debatable. Scary? Um...no.
Penumbra 2? Joking. Smile
Penumbra remake with full DirectX 11 rendering and stuff would be awesome. Too bad that is impossible, since I doubt FG will be willing to make that big step. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22