Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What would you like to see from Frictional next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Sci Fi Triggerhappy Horror.

Go.
The thing I would like to see is more silence. Especially during enemy encounters. It would be much better if you heard just the monster. When the music goes away, you pretty much know you're safe. There's no sense of danger when the music goes away.

I don't understand why so many games do this. Being in danger in silence is the best kind of fear you can get.
I would LOVE to see a new horror game on the same style as the already released ones, but ambiented in a dark forest. It should be full of misteries, shadows, supernatural lights, puzzles concerning plants and magic potions, caves, abandoned shacks. It could explore some ancient indian legend about evil spirits of the forest.
I'm sure it would be an awesome game, and a forest is a really scary place to be in the dark. Besides, in the woods there could be a lot of secondary scenarios, such as the mentioned above plus a lake, a gorge, maybe an abandoned vehicle... If following the theme, there could be a point when we'd reach the indian tribe, empty because they'd have been attacked by the spirits.
I'm now playing Black Plague, but since I finished Amnesia I've been keeping this forest idea and I simply know the guys who make these incredibly creepy games would rock using an idea like this.
Want them to stay in the horror genre. Because they are the only games company making them. The rest are just boring shooters cant even put them in the horror category.
Theme... not sci-fi horror... its been done to death.
(02-17-2011, 09:48 PM)dmdmdm Wrote: [ -> ]The thing I would like to see is more silence.

I like thinking about this. I think carefully introducing more careful/artistic uses of silence could really shock more than clanging noise or raucous music.
Now that you mention it, I think I agree.. could be something to try out in a custom story perhaps? Although sometimes if you don't really "announce" a monster / event it can seem a bit odd, like "What the hell, where did that come from, random much?"
I heard that FG was considering doing Amnesia 2 after the big success it has accumulated over time( 200k sells). Anyway, I was about to write and entire new thread on this, but i guess better not. Moving on:

Should FG develop Amnesia 2? No way, i mean, i love this game, but making a sequel/prequel with the same theme and still get a nice story and mystery behind it is actually harder than making a whole new game.
In this matter I think add-ons like Justine fit perfectly, or maybe porting Penumbra ( which i also loved) to the Amnesia engine as a custom story or add on. Alternatively if FG picked some of the most prominent CS and help develop them. This is great because it keeps the game and the community alive, the game everything with only keeps getting stronger pulling in more costumers and with relative no cost to the developers.

Now finally to the new game I'm about to suggest.
The mystery really amazes me, more than the terror. I wish i could see something more on the detective side, also less of the obvious "from one level to another", something more open where you really have to put your head together and search for answers.
Even with Penumbra and Amnesia I'm kinda let down when I realize everything turns around unnatural things. It can be just as horrifying without the "out of this world" stuff, just imagine a man with a big axe searching for you. The stuff that really get me, for example, is the torture rooms and the texts of people going crazy. In Penumbra, i just cannot forget about the man who gets stuck in the cavern, start seeing things and eventually had to cut his own tongue, that was simply psycho to me.
About the setting. The medieval stuff really got to me, dungeons, castles, flames and torches, the superstitious mind of the time, its just a great setting for the bizarre.
Also settings from the earlier 1900s, just take a look at "Kingdom Hospital" and "Shutter Island" type of genre, lots of experimentations going, wars, bizarre hospitals. And of course, a cannot miss setting, the future, a colony on Mars or Space Station, things going bad, you're stuck in there, weird experimentations going on.

A nice example I thought about:
You're a kind of detective of the Holy Church sent to investigate some mysterious happenings on a small town near a monastery. The priest there are corrupt and doing some bad things to the pleasantry, or maybe there is a mix with the pagan and catholic religions. Something bizarre experiment the church ordered to occur there but you weren't aware.
Anyway there is plenty of stories just waiting to be picked up, sorry for the bad examples, I suddenly leaked imagination.

Furthermore, I would like to see more on the self narrative style, also some npcs we can interact a bit more, some more realistic scenarios( symmetric maybe). The engine is already powerful, it only needs better npc and open map( instead of level to level) support. Also go towards a more modable engine, by what I've seen its already in this direction, I'm sure you understand the benefits of this.

In final words. I have to thank Frictional for providing a wonderful game and sticking with its principles. Its a great example that small and independent companies CAN survive and prosper.
I've read somewhere about Justine, one guy said "of course they will release it as a paid expansion". Its just wonderful that you didn't, it show us that you don't need to be a capitalist pig to be successful. Just Thanks!
(06-17-2011, 12:02 AM)gfurst Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that FG was considering doing Amnesia 2 after the big success it has accumulated over time( 200k sells).

Where did you hear that? There is nothing like that, is there an official announcement where you heard that?

Also, Amnesia has been sold over 400k already, by the time I think it might have reached even passed 500k.
I really love both Penumbra and Amnesia.
Mainly because of their environment.

A Castle.
and an Icey Mine in Greenland.

Both great and original places.
What other environment could they make which was just as good, if not better?

I'm scared Sad
(06-17-2011, 01:16 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2011, 12:02 AM)gfurst Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that FG was considering doing Amnesia 2 after the big success it has accumulated over time( 200k sells).

Where did you hear that? There is nothing like that, is there an official announcement where you heard that?

Also, Amnesia has been sold over 400k already, by the time I think it might have reached even passed 500k.

Just some random game site, well since its passed the 500k then its a pretty old post by now.
Anyway, maybe it was something more like this instead: With over 200k sales, will FG develop a sequel or a entire new game? Asking their opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22