Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What would you like to see from Frictional next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
I want more horror. Frictional is about the only company that makes real survival horror games anymore--Resident Evil isn't survival horror anymore. Dead Space isn't. Dead Rising isn't. I guess there's the recent Siren game and now Amnesia and that's about it. Frictional seems to truly understand horror and have a passion for it. They realize that adding monsters and jump scares to an action game doesn't not make it survival horror.

As to the theme, I'd rather leave it up to Frictional and let them make what they want to make. They're obviously fans of Lovecraft, so I wouldn't be surprised if the next game continued that trend. I'm a Lovecraft fan also, so that'd be fine with me.Big Grin

That said, I do like space as a setting for horror. You can't get much isolated than space, plus, even in Lovecraft's stories, most of the entities are extraterrestrial. It's hard to get much more alien than...well, aliens. If anyone could do a Lovecraftian game set in space, It'd be Frictional.Heart
Some wonderful love child between Blame! and Biomega. Maybe play as a more "common" protagonist. You know, someone without a Graviton Beam Emitter.

[Image: 5kj88y.jpg]

You know you want it! Heart
I hope they can make a complex survival game.

The protagonist has to search for foods and resources.
Weight system limits the movement speed.
Join some RPG elements without combats.
I think a game similar in vein to the first Alien film would be quite interesting, have always wanted something like that and I know Frictional could pull it off well.
I too am hoping for an original Alien horror survival. and always saw penumbra engine and now the amnesia engine to be a fit for such a game. but Fox seems to think that people prefer Aliens and AVP. to the greatness of the original story.

Over all I think a game that is more populated would be nice. interactions with other people, instead of notes and diaries. I liked working with Red until he burnt up. maybe a jack the ripper story. few common folk, 19th century london, dark creepy alleys. or a Jekyll Hyde thing. where the world around you changes in events that you have no control over( or do you?!). uncovering clues of you alter ego's mis-deeds, during your blackouts.

I have a few more ideas, but I want to dabble with the editor first.
(09-10-2010, 02:57 AM)Amnesia Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2010, 02:49 AM)perpetualmind Wrote: [ -> ]id really like to see them do something in a sci-fi setting.
the puzzles and the way you can interact with the environment could be really awesome in like, a space ship or on a moon base or something.
Just imagine penumbra/amnesia style puzzles in zero gravity.

Ontop of that, id LOVE to see what kind of story they could come up with for a sci-fi.
And just imagine the capacity for horror, terrifying aliens chasing you in zero gravity!

plus they could make up loads of futuristic technology to make some REALLY cool puzzle elements!

haha yeah that would be really nice. Also lots of creativity space, different aliens, species, powers, etc. I would also like some bosses in fractional games, something you could defeat by solving a puzzle. For example a big water monster chases you than you have to trick it into getting caught in a net. After that you need to burn it with something while it is caught in the net. And you must do it 3 times, every time it gets smarter and harder to get it caught in the net. Something like that would be interesting. Dead Space Frictional Games version Big Grin

I'm pretty sure that's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Besides have you even played Amnesia? You remember the water monster right? You understand that it doesn't need a health bar, or a way to beat it to make it scarier, in fact I'd say that'd EASILY make it less so.

Anyway, if they were to do anything like a boss, for it to work I think you'd need to look at something like the Tentacle monster/boss from Half Life 1, where you didn't beat it so much as bathe it in the fire of a rocket engine above it, and you only need to do it once, because its not going to come back from that. Its not contrived, its pure Valve, and it might work for Frictional, but I don't even see then why you bought it up, because it is just a puzzle with a hostile element, that gets destroyed in a satisfying manner as a reward for completing the puzzle, which also allows for more progress. Its not a classic boss at all, and certainly not what you're talking about, maybe what you mean, but not what you say.

EDIT: All I want for christmas is another good Frictional horror game. I don't care about the setting, I don't care if its a sequel, or a prequel, or even a new IP. I think they'll stick with horror, and I'm quite OK with that. Also, in keeping on topic as per what I've been reading, they should totally make the next Halo game.

As a side note, I really wouldn't mind a proper sci-fi setting, it sounds geniunely intriguing. Thanks for suggesting it.
(09-12-2010, 07:40 PM)wrath Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2010, 02:57 AM)Amnesia Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2010, 02:49 AM)perpetualmind Wrote: [ -> ]id really like to see them do something in a sci-fi setting.
the puzzles and the way you can interact with the environment could be really awesome in like, a space ship or on a moon base or something.
Just imagine penumbra/amnesia style puzzles in zero gravity.

Ontop of that, id LOVE to see what kind of story they could come up with for a sci-fi.
And just imagine the capacity for horror, terrifying aliens chasing you in zero gravity!

plus they could make up loads of futuristic technology to make some REALLY cool puzzle elements!

haha yeah that would be really nice. Also lots of creativity space, different aliens, species, powers, etc. I would also like some bosses in fractional games, something you could defeat by solving a puzzle. For example a big water monster chases you than you have to trick it into getting caught in a net. After that you need to burn it with something while it is caught in the net. And you must do it 3 times, every time it gets smarter and harder to get it caught in the net. Something like that would be interesting. Dead Space Frictional Games version Big Grin

I'm pretty sure that's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Besides have you even played Amnesia? You remember the water monster right? You understand that it doesn't need a health bar, or a way to beat it to make it scarier, in fact I'd say that'd EASILY make it less so.

Anyway, if they were to do anything like a boss, for it to work I think you'd need to look at something like the Tentacle monster/boss from Half Life 1, where you didn't beat it so much as bathe it in the fire of a rocket engine above it, and you only need to do it once, because its not going to come back from that. Its not contrived, its pure Valve, and it might work for Frictional, but I don't even see then why you bought it up, because it is just a puzzle with a hostile element, that gets destroyed in a satisfying manner as a reward for completing the puzzle, which also allows for more progress. Its not a classic boss at all, and certainly not what you're talking about, maybe what you mean, but not what you say.

id say that frictionals games allready have "boss" stages in a way.
there just not your average boss fight scenario.
a boss fight tends to serve as an epic moment where your skills are put to the test, and to me thats what the chase scenes in amnesia were.
instead of testing your skills at killing, it was testing your skills at withstanding pressure and escaping danger.

your referance to half life's tentacle monster is SPOT ON!
just think of penumbra: black plague, there are 2 sections where you are stuck with one of the creatures and have to use your brains to defeat them.
first you have to trap one in a room by luring it inside and running out, closing the door before it can catch up to you.
then theres the one you need to lure underneath the crate.

Id defenitly like to see more of these confrontations in frictional games, where rather than finding a way to escape, your forced into finding a way of delaying, trapping or killing the danger by using the enviromnent around you.
The net idea isnt so bad, but im not overly fond of having to re-do it.
frictional have said many times they dont want to add in repettetive sections of the game.
In Amnesia there are even sections that will COMPLETELY change if you die, so that it doesnt feel like your just running through the same corridors all over again.
actually, i love the idea of a sci-fi setting. something on an abandoned moon base or giant spaceship. i know that kinda sounds cliche for a horror game at this point with games like Dead Space and Doom 3, but i think frictional could make it work really well. imagine their physics puzzles in a place with NO gravity. if they can make you feel abandoned and hopeless in an underground facility, and now a gothic 19th century castle, imagine what they could do on a abandoned ship out in the middle of space? your vessel being attacked by an unknown alien species and ravaging your ship and everyone aboard, with you getting knocked out during the attack and awaking several days later with little to no memory of what took place. going through the ship trying to find out what happened and how to get off it. i think it could work really well ^_^
I'd like to see some normal horror game, no zombies, no aliens, no nothing. Just you, and a freak guy that takes people skin and makes his clothes with it... or something like that. Someone that open doors saying "Here's Johnny >Smile" idk, I think that'd be interesting. Tho, the killer could be involved on some satanic sh*t, hanging bodies, decapitated corpses, things like that.
grr cant delete posts, sorry misread LP
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22