Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Realism setting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After playing through the whole game once I just realized how much I abused that poor "tab" button. Every once in a while I would just press tab and take a break whenever I felt overwhelmed. Also, I used to make sure that my health/sanity were the best possible.

What I'm asking for is to add a "realism setting", a box you could check in the options, which would hide your health/sanity level and also wouldn't pause the game when pressing tab, making the item management in real time.

What do you guys think?
I think it sounds like a pretty pointless addition.

First of all, it would be downright annoying not knowing what your health is at, just because of the fact that it's not always that obvious in the game (except when you're really close to dying). Second of all, you could still just press Escape if you wanted to pause the game.

My opinion anyways.
(09-12-2010, 12:07 AM)Sverd Wrote: [ -> ]After playing through the whole game once I just realized how much I abused that poor "tab" button. Every once in a while I would just press tab and take a break whenever I felt overwhelmed. Also, I used to make sure that my health/sanity were the best possible.

What I'm asking for is to add a "realism setting", a box you could check in the options, which would hide your health/sanity level and also wouldn't pause the game when pressing tab, making the item management in real time.

What do you guys think?

I think that it's ok to be able to see your health level. I even liked the way how it was done in this game. This 5-step health description system works well as it tells you how you're holding up. It seems reasonable that a person would be able to judge his physical condition roughly ("A wound is bleeding quite badly"). However some kind of numerical (100%-0%) health meter would seem out of place and break the immersion. The sanity meter isn't that necessary as the effects were clearly noticeable by the protagonist's actions. Also pausing while using the inventory could be removed to apply the feeling of danger while you shuffle through your items.
Even if they did remove that tab-pause-thing, ESC would be the next button to hit. Wink
(09-12-2010, 12:29 AM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]Even if they did remove that tab-pause-thing, ESC would be the next button to hit. Wink

True, but when hitting ESC you cannot make any "progress", like putting stuff together in your inventory or taking a health potion, adding oil to lantern etc. These are of course very minor details. Smile
(09-12-2010, 12:38 AM)dimmi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2010, 12:29 AM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]Even if they did remove that Tab-pause-thing, Esc would be the next button to hit. Wink

True, but when hitting ESC you cannot make any "progress", like putting stuff together in your inventory or taking a health potion, adding oil to lantern etc. These are of course very minor details. Smile

Minor details but I'm sure this would make a difference. Smile
But in real life, you can drink at the same time you move (maybe not as good as on hold, but you can Wink).
So, when you're in inventory, you can pretend to move. Tongue
The devs would do this because their cardinal values are horror and immersion. In fact I could see them taking out the ability to pause entirely and requiring a 5sec hold of certain buttons in order to access the menu, like hold F10 for 5sec in order to pause.
I know that in Penumbra, the inventory did not pause the game. If this is not true in Amnesia, please do not tell me.
Opening the inventory pauses the game as far as I am aware.
Pages: 1 2