Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: So...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
...and set in the roaring twenties.
(05-17-2016, 08:56 PM)i3670 Wrote: [ -> ]...and set in the roaring twenties.

*a wild game appears*

[Image: Call_of_Cthulhu_-_Dark_Corners_of_the_Ea...verart.png]
That's awesome game. I wish it would have a remake.
Why new stealth mechanics and playstyles? FG games are already perfect how they are in gameplay. And there's a new Call of Cthulhu game coming.
(05-18-2016, 05:02 PM)Knickebein Wrote: [ -> ]Why new stealth mechanics and playstyles? FG games are already perfect how they are in gameplay. And there's a new Call of Cthulhu game coming.

When you actually consider how ... I'm not going to say "dumb" but unintelligently designed the monsters are in terms of 'searching' and 'hunting' a player, they definitely need some improvement to give a much better stealth experience.

It's probably not so much new as in "Add this in, and this too", but rather, perfecting older content so that it becomes much better, without making it entirely different.

Take Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 for examples. In the first one, the soldiers simply run towards your last location via pathnodes and search without checking every hiding spot you could potentially be. MGS2 improves the mechanic by attempting to have multiple soldiers search out an area in multiple hiding spots; lockers, vents, behind boxes, etc. While they are introducing features, they are maintaining the stealth aspect by making it slightly more difficult, yet realistic, to be stealthy.

Slight meta note - since this one is the most active, this thread will be the go-to for "What's next for Frictional Games". Got any speculations, theories, or ideas on what the next game should incorporate, chuck them here. Smile In due time, the thread title may be changed and various little things here and there (such as moving the thread to an appropriate subforum when the time is right).

To quote the OP of the SOMA discussion thread:

(09-26-2010, 08:52 PM)Googolplex Wrote: [ -> ]What does Frictional Games at next?
Do they have any idea for a further horror game?

What you think about their next upcoming game?
I think the monster chasing always worked outstanding in any FG game. While I prefer the Penumbra dogs that didn't disappear, I also like the way how Amnesia handled the monster chasing. Sometimes a monster also could just be frustrating and annoying - instead to be scary (Alien Isolation). And the way the monsters searching for you always was superb in all their games. Also should be noticed that horror will not just caused by monsters, Amnesia and SOMA were about exploration. Monsters are only incidental to create some tense, but also could be laughable and ruin a game if they are done wrong.
(05-17-2016, 08:56 PM)i3670 Wrote: [ -> ]...and set in the roaring twenties.

No parkour - no buy
What about we make an wishlist topic?
One of the things I wish for in a new Frictional Games' game:

I would love it if FG made a game that was a bit more opened ended in terms of story and level design as that was one of the critiques I had with SOMA for being more linear with story and level design than I expected. Like if maybe FG saw what Alien Isolation did with it's level design and alien AI and then try recreating that in their own way.
Spoiler below!
As for the story the choices you make should matter later on, because after beating SOMA once you realize the choices you make were pointless and it didn't effect the outcome of the game.
(05-18-2016, 07:10 PM)brus Wrote: [ -> ]What about we make an wishlist topic?

Just, these lists sorta, kinda, well...tend to lead to disappointments Dodgy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12