Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What game needs and without it = medicore game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So ,looking at tech demo and overture videos I can say that game need:

1.NPC's .like old mineworker trapped who need rescue etc ......
2.Better animations and better weapons .That pickaxe in video was done very bad .I wish to attack with mouse moving ,not by clicking a button and starting an annimation(something simillar was done in Trespasser) .
Too much weapons will kill atmosphere ,but if I have a flashlight, keys, and some things around me (chairs ,bootless...) why I can't use it ??? I tried (in tech demo) throw something at the bats and nothing ...only dynamite and that puzzle killing(good idea with it ,but it shouldnt be used with every monster).
3.The game is too empty ,just add more objects.
4.Maybe if game is realistic(I think it is and should be) you might add legs. but that is optional becouse if you add legs you also gonna add hands so..its too much work and almost impossible to add hand that perfectly fits grabbing each object.
5.More commercials - 90% of gamers don't known that it exist !
6.Think of good story that anserws what monsters are. Please only not and UFO like it was in call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth.

Now its time for good things
1.Atmosphere is great . I hit esc key much to take a breath.
2.Graphics are supreme .The blur while moving is marvelous(nice)Smile
3.Physics and interaction is great. The object have good weight .(unlike hl2 had) and that mouse->object . just fun and realistic to do.

Thats all .I think you should fo some of things I said becouse without it = medicore game( but you are working on the game ,not me so decision is yours)

ps.I known a little bit of photoshop and can help you with some things like menu screen etc. With taken screenshots I can do preety much by just adding some filters to it etc. .but shit I don't have to much free time. If you are interested just pm me and I will try to post some of my crap :p

sorry for my english - you see I'm from Poland Big Grin
So ,looking at tech demo and overture videos I can say that game need:

1.NPC's .like old mineworker trapped who need rescue etc ......

We should have a little town alsoBig Grin  Have little bunnies for sale also^_^  You can do little quests such as find a missing ring and other stuff alsoTongue
Serious now; What happens when you find the miner?  Does he prance away never heard from again? Does he go out to get help?  Does he follow you around?  Once you found him you know others might be there and the game woudnt' be so scary and alone.

2.Better animations and better weapons .That pickaxe in video was done very bad .I wish to attack with mouse moving ,not by clicking a button and starting an annimation(something simillar was done in Trespasser) .

I'm not a programmer or anything, but as far as I know it's hard to create animations that look real.  The official game, Penumbra Overture will have something like that, ask dark reaver on it though;  the people who make the game talk to him.

Too much weapons will kill atmosphere ,but if I have a flashlight, keys, and some things around me (chairs ,bootless...) why I can't use it ??? I tried (in tech demo) throw something at the bats and nothing ...only dynamite and that puzzle killing(good idea with it ,but it shouldnt be used with every monster).

This is a tech demo, not a full game.  I'm sure it's hard to impliment a fighting  system that's fun, balenced, and difficult at the same time(You don't want a easy fighting system in horror games aimed for a older audiance I believe)

3.The game is too empty ,just add more objects.

This is a tech demo.  I believe they were in highschool or something.  This is a 4 man team also.  The game has insane compooper requirements, more objects would take more cpu power.  

4.Maybe if game is realistic(I think it is and should be) you might add legs. but that is optional becouse if you add legs you also gonna add hands so..its too much work and almost impossible to add hand that perfectly fits grabbing each object.

Maybe if game is realistic   
     This is one of (Or most) realistic games I have ever played.  I'm sure it's very very challening and difficult to program realistic phisics in a computer game.  You just don't talk to the computer "Alright, I want real physics.  Do it"  You need to add code and such.  You don't really need to add feet.  When your walking, do you really notice your feet?  It would also look kinda stupid to see your feet, this isn't a 3rd person game and unless the charecter leans backward when he walks, he isn't going to see his feet.
The don't want your hands to be swining all around.  You see the hands when you hold something(The new videos on the official game show breif moments of the hands, they look 100x better than the demo it seems)

5.More commercials - 90% of gamers don't known that it exist !

Wow.. 10% of gamers know about thisO_o  And only 2 commerials and such.  I think that's really good.  Low budget advertising has really worked wonders.  I was told this, you don't want to over-hype a game.  It also costs money to advertise(That's where websites get most of their money, companys pay them to show stuff)

6.Think of good story that anserws what monsters are. Please only not and UFO like it was in call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth.

The story is this;  Someone was picking their nose and something really nasty came out.  The scientist who picked it put it in dirreaha and blended it together;  thus creating the monsters in this game.  That's a joke, but the people are trying to make this game realistic.  They arn't (Hopefully x.x) going to have over-used ideas.=/

Sorry for my bad mood, not really in a good mood right now because I think my depression is coming back-.-  
Sorry for any spelling mistakes also..

edited part: And your putting the topic title as if it's a FACT. I understand people's opinions are different than others, but your like OMG IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY BECAUSE I SAY SO AND IF IT ISN'T ITS GOING TO SUCK SO U BETTER LISTEN TO ME. Kinda annoying(I bet this post will get me banned here>.>)

I would like to just add my two cents, or whatever that converts to in your own monetary system. But for a team of limited people, working with limited resources, to release a tech-demo of this caliber is completly amazing. Its all fine and dandy to say "Oh, this game needs X person with Y abilities and Z weapons." But don't demand and imply it takes away from the game if they don't, I for one found it to be a perfect balance. It's very easy to see why a commercial version is being released.

gamgam2: Do you want to get banned? I see quite a lot of your posts ending in something about you possibly getting banned.
Quote:1.NPC's .like old mineworker trapped who need rescue etc ......

no, wouldnt fit in imo
the game is set in a abandoned base (dont mind the holes in the story(the lit candles and stuff))

Quote:2.Better animations and better weapons .That pickaxe in video was done very bad .I wish to attack with mouse moving ,not by clicking a button and starting an annimation(something simillar was done in Trespasser) .

the game doesent even have animations :p
its all physics Smile

Quote:3.The game is too empty ,just add more objects.
will be there in penumbra, just check the screens

Quote:4.Maybe if game is realistic(I think it is and should be) you might add legs. but that is optional becouse if you add legs you also gonna add hands so..its too much work and almost impossible to add hand that perfectly fits grabbing each object.
thatwould require alot of coding so i dont think its going te be there
but hey, we have played first person games witouth legs for like 10 years so 1 more game will not hurt Smile

Quote:5.More commercials - 90% of gamers don't known that it exist !
i dont think that they have alot of money to spare
its a small dev team (about 4 guys)
we can help tough ^^ if we 'advertise' the game on gamesites/forums and so on we will give thm some publicity ^^

Quote:6.Think of good story that anserws what monsters are. Please only not and UFO like it was in call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth.
i dont think it is going to be that Smile
dont know alot about the story but its not going to be that Smile

hope this clears alot of stuff up Smile
ok here is my version of a break down so i don't feel left out Tongue

HiCZoK Wrote:1.NPC's .like old mineworker trapped who need rescue etc ......
ok cool you found a worker you got few options....
1 dies (which happens on just about every fps single player)
2 the help you with a puzzle and  follows you or gets left behind/die :/
3 free them and some how not free your self
4 try to kill you
5 do nothing but talk to you
so really there is not much to enhance the story while keeping the horror theme with out being too predictable
HiCZoK Wrote:2.Better animations and better weapons .That pickaxe in video was done very bad .I wish to attack with mouse moving ,not by clicking a button and starting an annimation(something simillar was done in Trespasser) .
Funny enough i like the no weapon style of the tech demo but toward the end i see the need for weapons but if can keep it out long as possible till it becomes same old thing then bam add weapons then got a change of game style almost instantly
btw i found was i kept reaching for a sneak button that was not there >.<
HiCZoK Wrote:3.The game is too empty ,just add more objects.
it's a tech demo not a game
HiCZoK Wrote:4.Maybe if game is realistic(I think it is and should be) you might add legs. but that is optional becouse if you add legs you also gonna add hands so..its too much work and almost impossible to add hand that perfectly fits grabbing each object.
In thief 3 having a body was cool and at lest you can see when you are about to kick some thing along the floor but lot of work to line things up for little gain i believe
HiCZoK Wrote:5.More commercials - 90% of gamers don't known that it exist !
yer the hazard of low budget games no cash to pump it up in to the main stream eye
10% isn't bad  figure since there is no advertising that i'm aware off
HiCZoK Wrote:6.Think of good story that anserws what monsters are. Please only not and UFO like it was in call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth.
i'm sure they will
for methe introduction to the game is enough to convince me the got a story planned
only thing is a good story is judged only by personal tastes
HiCZoK Wrote:Now its time for good things
1.Atmosphere is great . I hit esc key much to take a breath.
2.Graphics are supreme .The blur while moving is marvelous(nice)Smile
3.Physics and interaction is great. The object have good weight .(unlike hl2 had) and that mouse->object . just fun and realistic to do.
!00% agree with you there
Thanks for your anserws .The game looks great even for now. The atmosphere and realism is best of every game I've played. And one more thing - I don't demand ,I only suggest-still I'm not the one who is making this great horror game Smile Some more questions :
1.About hardware requiments-higher or lower than tech demo ?
2.Saving system ? Unlimited saves gonna kill atmosphere ,but when I'm playing I feel need to save. Maybe saves in certain savepoints ? I really don't known.
3.Can I buy it in Poland ? Smile
4.And final - Is my english good enought to understand what the hell I'm talking about ???

Ps. I am already helping with commercials .Right away I'm going to post link for tech demo where I can. Also in I'm going to friend with tech demo. He is Horror master . Says "I won't scarry of any qame" will see about that Tongue
1.About hardware requiments-higher or lower than tech demo ?

Most likely lower. But the team that is making this has added some type of new fog system, so it might turn out at the requirements as the tech demo.

2.Saving system ? Unlimited saves gonna kill atmosphere ,but when I'm playing I feel need to save. Maybe saves in certain savepoints ? I really don't known.

You also feel the need for unlimited flashlight power(At least with me) But it woudn't be as fun. Most likely save at loading points as in the tech demo.

3.Can I buy it in Poland ?

You'll have to wait for another answer from one of the smarter people here._. But if it isn't, you should be able to download it off the internet(You can buy it from them and you download it, not pirating)

4.And final - Is my english good enought to understand what the hell I'm talking about ???

=/ We have all been answering your questions. So ya, it works. You also have 75% better grammar and spelling than the rest of the internet people I see. "Omg u selld my rare ademz!1"

Is something I saw in a d2 trading game once. The kid wasn't trying to be funny either.

And also, don't make the commercails seem like it's official. It's supposed to be fan made, even if it's better than the official ones, don't make it so it seems YOU are the media person.

And I'm too lazy to go back to the topic copy what someone said. It was about me beliving I would be banned after each messenge; I've been warned that I was going to be banned several times on this site. Haha
Fun to see all are having suggestions for the game. This is very inspiring to us since it shows us that people out there are interested and care bout the game Smile

HiCZoK Wrote:1.About hardware requiments-higher or lower than tech demo ?
3.Can I buy it in Poland ? Smile

1. The same. The engine has been optimized but graphics are more complex in Overture.
2. Save points and Autosaves. There is also an option to turn on Quick Save/Load for those who wanna spoil the experience Wink
3. Yup!
4. I have no problem with it Smile

As for pimping: We are extremly glad of all PR we get for the game, but it would be better to go on a the die hard pimping tour when the game is about to be released. People might hear about it now and forget when it is released Smile
Thats right.

Quote:5.More commercials - 90% of gamers don't known that it exist !

When its done. Having them now will raise intrest in the tech demo, not Overtune.

Quote:6.Think of good story that anserws what monsters are. Please only not and UFO like it was in call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth.

Can I ask you what the holy fuck are you talking about? DCoE had nothing to do with UFOs. Aliens yes, but in a unque manner (and form! it wasn't some physically retarded humans with a oversized skull).
Pages: 1 2 3