Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: How do I get my custom story to show up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I'm newer to Amnesia and decided to look into the custom level system.

The problem is, nomatter what I do, I can't get my level to show up. I got Amnesia: The Dark Descent from Steam, and have a custom folder in the custom stories one, inside said folder is another subfolder, maps, in which is the .map file of my custom map and a .hps of the same name with

void OnStart()
{
}

void OnEnter()
{
}

void OnLeave()
{
}

Inside. I'm not sure if that is correct, I just got it from another thread I read, perhaps I made a mistake on that? But even besides that, outside of the maps subfolder I have custom_story_settings.cfg, of which has this inside.

<Main
Name="Testmap"
Author="A12"

StartMap=Newest map!.map
StartPos="PlayerstartArea_1
/>

Is there anything else I should be doing? Or did I just mess up one of these steps like a complete idiot who will be mocked by all? I wonder...
(10-07-2010, 05:38 PM)A12 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. I'm newer to Amnesia and decided to look into the custom level system.

The problem is, nomatter what I do, I can't get my level to show up. I got Amnesia: The Dark Descent from Steam, and have a custom folder in the custom stories one, inside said folder is another subfolder, maps, in which is the .map file of my custom map and a .hps of the same name with

void OnStart()
{
}

void OnEnter()
{
}

void OnLeave()
{
}

Inside. I'm not sure if that is correct, I just got it from another thread I read, perhaps I made a mistake on that? But even besides that, outside of the maps subfolder I have custom_story_settings.cfg, of which has this inside.

<Main
Name="Testmap"
Author="A12"

StartMap=Newest map!.map
/>

Is there anything else I should be doing? Or did I just mess up one of these steps like a complete idiot who will be mocked by all? I wonder...

Do you have an extraenglish.lang?
EDIT: And to the person below me, i didnt notice that. Good call - Both of these are probably the cause
(10-07-2010, 05:38 PM)A12 Wrote: [ -> ]<Main
Name="Testmap"
Author="A12"

StartMap=Newest map!.map
/>

This file is not valid, not at all.
StartMap and StarPos both need quotationmarks, the MapsFolder is completely missing.

This is what it should look like:

<Main

Name="Testmap"
Author="A12"
ImgFile=""
MapsFolder="maps/"
StartMap="Newest map!.map"
StartPos="PlayerStartArea_1"

/>

I don't know about the ! in your map name, it could cause problems, too.
(10-07-2010, 06:04 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2010, 05:38 PM)A12 Wrote: [ -> ]<Main
Name="Testmap"
Author="A12"

StartMap=Newest map!.map
/>

This file is not valid, not at all.
StartMap and StarPos both need quotationmarks, the MapsFolder is completely missing.

This is what it should look like:

<Main

Name="Testmap"
Author="A12"
ImgFile=""
MapsFolder="maps/"
StartMap="Newest map!.map"
StartPos="PlayerStartArea_1"

/>

I don't know about the ! in your map name, it could cause problems, too.

Ok, thanks. However, I fixed it to be just like that one and it still doesn't work.

In response to Chilton,I have a folder called Extra_English.lang, because I heard it was required for it to show up, but it's empty. Perhaps that is why I cannot get my custom story to work?

EDIT:

I downloaded another custom story and noticed something. My extra-english.lang, while having the .lang, is officially catagorized as a .txt. So is my custom story settings.

Excuse me if I suck with computer features, but, um, how do I go about making them actually a .lang and a .cfg?
Setting up your Custom Story (Part 1) (2:25)
Setting up your Custom Story (Part 2)
Setting up your Custom Story (Part 3)

Source: http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/tutorials

These should help you with everything. (these tutorials are not by me, they are by MulleDK19)
It works! Thank you everybody, so much. You guys rock!
I watched the vid and followed all steps and still didnt work so i re did it rewatched it and still same thing...