Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Any word on how successful this was?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Any word on how successful this was?

Like I know it will nvr have the same sales as big aaa tittles.. but I am curious if the devs think it was a success. I read in a interview b4 amnesia came out that frictional games kinda hung in the balance on if this title worked for them or not....

Anyone know if the devs consider this a success or not?

<--- EDIT
Friction made a Blog Entry about just this...
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010...lease.html
Check the blog.
Sorry... i had no idea there was a special section to talk about blog articles... pasted my comments to

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid41749
(10-10-2010, 10:18 AM)Adventurer4Life Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry... i had no idea there was a special section to talk about blog articles... pasted my comments to

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid41749

"As of today we have sold a total of 36, 000 units...15,000 (41.7%) of all sales were in the form of pre-orders, which is quite significant. Part of the explanation for this is that there was a 20% discount during pre-orders and we also believe that people are more inclined to buy a pre-order."

So, 36,000 - 15,000 = 21,000 X $20 = $420,000 + 15,000 x $16 = $660,000 - Expenses. I'd say it did pretty well.
Don't forget a lot of the preorders were like $5 or $10. Not sure.
(10-10-2010, 05:16 PM)cogar66 Wrote: [ -> ]So, 36,000 - 15,000 = 21,000 X $20 = $420,000 + 15,000 x $16 = $660,000 - Expenses. I'd say it did pretty well.

That isn't too well, sadly...look at the credits for the game and try to break down the money amongst them...of course it's not equally divided, but it gives a rough idea at how much they all made each, and lets say that for a years earnings (I doubt Frictional are kicking out another full game this year) it's not great wages.

That's true art sadly, masterpieces always get overlooked initially Sad
(10-10-2010, 09:18 PM)martinstatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2010, 05:16 PM)cogar66 Wrote: [ -> ]So, 36,000 - 15,000 = 21,000 X $20 = $420,000 + 15,000 x $16 = $660,000 - Expenses. I'd say it did pretty well.

That isn't too well, sadly...look at the credits for the game and try to break down the money amongst them...of course it's not equally divided, but it gives a rough idea at how much they all made each, and lets say that for a years earnings (I doubt Frictional are kicking out another full game this year) it's not great wages.

That's true art sadly, masterpieces always get overlooked initially Sad

I don't think it's that bad. There are more people working at the stinking liquor store down the street than for Frictional games. 660,000 is a great amount to earn for such a small company, and you're not even factoring in earnings from past games, and future purchases of Amnesia--which are no doubt going to keep trickling in over the winter.
The game is still selling also, by word of mouth at the very least. I'm really bad with horror games but I love them, I got really obsessed with this game watching Let's Plays, reading about it, watching tons of videos and even though I am a huge coward and really sensitive to horror games, I bought it anyways and I am going to try and play through the whole thing as though my life depended on it.

However my obsession with it when I couldn't really even play the game has also sparked interest in other friends of mine, I was able to convince two to buy it (and they have loved it so far) and another friend of mine is on the rope.

It's been getting a lot of coverage in some circles of the internet, and while piracy is rampant there are still a lot of people shelling out the well-earned cash to Frictional Games.

Next extra bit of money I get, I plan on buying the Penumbra bundle as well.

Great stuff, Frictional.
I wonder how much extra penumbra helps here also. I can imagine a lot of players new to frictional wanting more after Amnesia and perhaps buying the penumbra collection as well. Would be intresting to know how well that has been going since amnesia was realesed. Smile
(10-10-2010, 11:04 PM)Nevyn Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder how much extra penumbra helps here also.

I agree with that! If I played Amnesia first, I'd definitely want to try out their other games. I mean, I pre-ordered Amnesia knowing nothing besides it came from the makers of Penumbra. Can't wait to pre-order their next game.
Pages: 1 2 3