Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Monsters shouldn't have distinctive sounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are a lot of scary sounds in the game, but playing through I could quickly tell that most of them were just atmospheric and could be ignored. When a real monster actually shows up, you hear a distinctive moan and music. I then hid somewhere until the music and groaning stopped. It was thus easy for me to tell when it was safe and when to be careful.

What if the monsters did not give off a distinctive sound? What if they gave off one of the atmospheric sounds instead? If that were the case, you could never be sure whether you were safe or whether there was a threat afoot, and you'd be constantly looking over your shoulder.
Im inclined to agree - They should still make a distinctive sound, but not so often. On the other hand, this game is more about puzzles than enemies, with psychological horror as its general theme, so i cant complain
There is an easy way to "fix" that - just delete sound-files that are responsible for the monster's "chase sound" Tongue
(10-11-2010, 07:30 PM)Kein Wrote: [ -> ]There is an easy way to "fix" that - just delete sound-files that are responsible for the monster's "chase sound" Tongue

Actually the so-called activation sounds are the biggest culprits, as the moment they 'spawn' or do something scriptwise they always play one of those. That way there is no confirmation when something spawns, other than the music Tongue
I'm inclined to agree - maybe the music should only start if you're quite close the monster. I played very paranoid, listened for all the cues, and I didn't even see the monster type 'Brute' in the sewers. Apparently he breaks iron bars to come at you, but, uh, I triggered him, the music started before I saw him, I ran and hid, and he was gone.
(10-11-2010, 07:30 PM)Kein Wrote: [ -> ]There is an easy way to "fix" that - just delete sound-files that are responsible for the monster's "chase sound" Tongue

Too late for that, now. I've finished the game and remember where all the monsters are, since their appearances are all scripted.

Maybe I'll forget about this game for a year, enough to forget, then I'll mod the game as you suggest.
(10-12-2010, 12:58 PM)Bifford Wrote: [ -> ]Too late for that, now. I've finished the game and remember where all the monsters are, since their appearances are all scripted.

I'm pretty sure that's not 100% true.
Sorry to disappoint you but it IS scripted.
Every single one of them? Not one of them (say, in the prison) is just wandering around, for chance encounters?

I'm positive the ones in the Choir at least are persistently wandering around.
(10-12-2010, 09:47 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: [ -> ]I'm positive the ones in the Choir at least are persistently wandering around.

Basically everytime you hear the distinguishable "BLEARGH" or "MOO" sound it means the enemy spawns, and if you wander around in the Choir (presuming I remember the place right) long enough it becomes painfully obvious that basically on certain spots no matter what you do, you can hear that the enemy has spawned.
Pages: 1 2