Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: First Impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Thought I would give you some feedback as Ive never played a survival horror game before or indeed any frictional game.

I am really enjoying Amnesia. In particular, the sound is really excellent, not only the sound effects but the choice of narrator etc.

I also appreciate the lack of a on screen mini map and quest markers. Thank you for not dumbing the game down. I like the challenge.

I think the graphics suit the game well, sure, they are not cutting edge but this game is about atmosphere, not shiny pixels. I particularly like the design and look of the environment and the obvious care which has been taken. One pet wish is that I wish I could glimpse a bit more of the outside through the windows as they are usually fogged. A minor nitpick.

The mechanics are easy to master and everything functions without issues. The inventory, journal etc are just as they should be.

One wish is for a quicksave but I know thats not what you intended Smile

I really cant think of anything to criticize so I am just going to thank you for making such an immersive, frighteningly enjoyable game and reassure you that I will also be purchasing Penumbra as a direct result of this game.

R
Yes, Amnesia really is an awesome game Big Grin Now go play the Penumbra games after youve finished Amnesia Big Grin Penumbra has an awesome story, is frightening and is excellently written. Just like Amnesia Smile
I just got the game myself and I gotta say it's really great and refreshing. The atmosphere and lovecraftian vibe is strong and I haven't felt anything like it since the early infogrames games.

For all it's darkness and atmosphere I had to smile when the doors wouldn't budge, I guess it's a little nod to Clive Barker's Undying.

Anyway this game is already a classic in my eyes. Excellent work Frictional Games!
The occasional barricaded doors reminded me more of Silent Hill. "The lock on this door is broken. *crosses out door on map with red x*"
(10-15-2010, 10:20 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: [ -> ]The occasional barricaded doors reminded me more of Silent Hill. "The lock on this door is broken. *crosses out door on map with red x*"

The barricaded doors is one thing but sometimes the doors leading back to a earlier zone just says "It won't budge" which is basically the same phrase that you will hear a lot if you go exploring in Undying.

Evidence : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoCMNDhyLrY
I like most the stlye of the game. It reminds me of retro gaming from my childhood and although the graphics are not akin to its contemporaries I absolutely love this.

For me it is like taking my favourite old game but with the advanced scripting and modern physics that I so wished were possible say ten years ago.
In a sense it has the same atmosphere as old horror films without the shiny gloss and cliches found in new titles, making it feel somewhat more natural.

The fact that there are no combat mechanics really attracts me to amnesia. For this reason it is really unique and requires a more attentive mind rather than a common run-and-gunner.

I could go on.