Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: SOMA image copyright questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BrianDLNT

Hello everyone!

I had no clue where to put this. I do apologize if this is out of place.

So I'll explain what I'm asking before I go on about what I looked for. I'm a metal musician that is planning on writing and recording an entire EP based on the storyline of SOMA. I've never been more intrigued by a game before and the amount of perspective I'd drawn from the game is astounding. It's a beautiful inspiration to me and I know I could do the game justice.

Thing is, I would like to use some of the artwork used in SOMA to make an EP cover. I tried looking for any of the copyright statuses on the images specifically and found nothing. Copyright is a big thing in today's world and I want to make sure I go about it in the correct way.

Once the EP is completed, I will NOT be selling it. It will be a free release. I will be making no profit AT ALL whether it be from sales, ad revenue, or literally anything else. I project this record to not even break 250-350 downloads in total. I can provide an email that can be used for further confidential communication upon request.

Thanks in advance for your time!
You'll be fine so long as you're not making profit off the sales. I would ask that you link to SOMA and/or specific artists if you can find the ones who designed the artwork you're using.

This thread may be handy. As far as I am aware, Nautilus is more than happy for anyone to use his screenshots, but you can contact him through his tumblr if you have questions.

Good luck!