Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
(01-27-2011, 02:21 PM)kailip Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2011, 02:03 PM)Need4Power Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2011, 05:12 PM)w3sp Wrote: [ -> ]What would have made Amnesia a LOT scarier would have been nasty stuff with closets.

For example I played a custom map a while ago and at one part you were in some area (styled like the prison looks in the original game) with tons of rooms and you'd hear constant zombie growling but it never appeared.
Opened all the closets, all the cupboards etc and collected what I found...no zombies there. Then I found a key which I used to open locked closets or so. And on one of them once I used the key the doors jumped open and a Zombie literally just jumped right into my face...Haven't screamed like that for years. I was streaming it and the people had fun obviously Big Grin

TL;DR
Closets are something that make you feel secure because you can open them and hide in them. If there was a zombie in one of them it'd have been a totally different feeling from that moment on Smile

LOL,i played the same custom map with my friend at about 23:00 PM,Dark Room and closed door,we put the volume on full.
we were already scared to death from the constant growling that sometime was heard like it been really close...
when we finally opened the door,the door just opened quickly and the monster jumped on us,we screamed like crazy and jumped out of the chair xD
that was one of the most scary moments in MY LIFE! XD
and even funnier...,before we opened the door,i told to my friend "I hope there isn't something scary inside this closet" XDDD

Anyway,this is a great idea to hide scary things in the closet Smile

No, it's not, it's nonsense. Why a monster would stay in a closed? It's dumb.

Because he's gay

On a more serious note, kallip...get off of people's backs because they have a particular opinion and quit acting like a 12 year old, nothing wrong with disagreeing but do you have to be so damn rude about it?
(01-27-2011, 02:21 PM)kailip Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2011, 02:03 PM)Need4Power Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2011, 05:12 PM)w3sp Wrote: [ -> ]What would have made Amnesia a LOT scarier would have been nasty stuff with closets.

For example I played a custom map a while ago and at one part you were in some area (styled like the prison looks in the original game) with tons of rooms and you'd hear constant zombie growling but it never appeared.
Opened all the closets, all the cupboards etc and collected what I found...no zombies there. Then I found a key which I used to open locked closets or so. And on one of them once I used the key the doors jumped open and a Zombie literally just jumped right into my face...Haven't screamed like that for years. I was streaming it and the people had fun obviously Big Grin

TL;DR
Closets are something that make you feel secure because you can open them and hide in them. If there was a zombie in one of them it'd have been a totally different feeling from that moment on Smile

LOL,i played the same custom map with my friend at about 23:00 PM,Dark Room and closed door,we put the volume on full.
we were already scared to death from the constant growling that sometime was heard like it been really close...
when we finally opened the door,the door just opened quickly and the monster jumped on us,we screamed like crazy and jumped out of the chair xD
that was one of the most scary moments in MY LIFE! XD
and even funnier...,before we opened the door,i told to my friend "I hope there isn't something scary inside this closet" XDDD

Anyway,this is a great idea to hide scary things in the closet Smile

No, it's not, it's nonsense. Why a monster would stay in a closed? It's dumb.

Perhaps it was returning from a vacation in Narnia.
Hallucinations like monsters appearing and then disappearing when they are about to touch you should be something that happens due to low sanity anywhere rather than a pre-scripted event.
I always lacked the incentive to really use the lamp and stay in light due to insanity didn't really handicap you much and just blurred your vision, and sometimes slow you down.

Monsters that never disappear and then start patrolling a pre-determined area if they give up looking for you. I felt too comfortable just going in a dark corner when the music changed and then walk around again when the safe-music came on again and I knew they had vanished forever. But letting them roam free too much would risk them blocking the only exit with their bad AI.
(08-31-2011, 07:46 PM)cantremember Wrote: [ -> ]Monsters that never disappear and then start patrolling a pre-determined area if they give up looking for you. I felt too comfortable just going in a dark corner when the music changed and then walk around again when the safe-music came on again and I knew they had vanished forever. But letting them roam free too much would risk them blocking the only exit with their bad AI.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would also like to add that the music in this case should only last so long...as to cast uncertainty. Music stops, shouldn't necessarily mean it's really gone...

"Amnesia shouldn't be played to win"
I guess a lot of people missed this...
(09-01-2011, 06:28 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]"Amnesia shouldn't be played to win"
I guess a lot of people missed this...

How so (at least on this page)?
It was just a generalization, nothing specific or a reply to a post Smile
It is usually a missing point. Monster music has stopped, you are safe. Yes, you won, congrats Tongue
(09-01-2011, 06:39 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]It was just a generalization, nothing specific or a reply to a post Smile
It is usually a missing point. Monster music has stopped, you are safe. Yes, you won, congrats Tongue

Oh okay. Smile I haven't been around here for awhile, that's why I was asking. About the music though..it's not really something you have to try to notice. I certainly wasn't looking for exploits, I suppose I just had the misfortune of picking up on that..now I know and react differently whether I like it or not.
Please, do not misunderstand me, I wasn't pointing out your post, it's just people come to forum, complain about some things, usually tell that they know better how to make a good scary game and go away.

Common point of these kind of posts are that people posting these haven't even tried to immerse themselves in the game, which was specifically pointed out before game starts. I guess too much "b-b-bloody screen, too real" type of games are being played and people are brain-washed.
(09-01-2011, 06:46 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]Common point of these kind of posts are that people posting these haven't even tried to immerse themselves in the game, which was specifically pointed out before game starts. I guess too much "b-b-bloody screen, too real" type of games are being played and people are brain-washed.

Ahh, yes. Sadly. Dead Space? Undecided lol...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25