Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
(01-03-2013, 01:07 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I Got Some Suggestions.
------
1. No Monster Music
- If you are chased by someone, is there a music?

2. Smart Monster's
- If a Monster saw you and you go to a room and hide in a closet, maybe the monster will search for you or something.

3. Random Spawn
- I think the monster's spawn should be random. If you are killed or play again, you know their location.
(EXAMPLE : First Playthrough : Grunt on Room IV
: Second Playthrough : Grunt on Room XI)
--------

Are they good?

[Image: StupidShit.png]
(01-03-2013, 04:39 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: [ -> ]
------
1. No Monster Music

2. Smart Monster's
- If a Monster saw you and you go to a room and hide in a closet, maybe the monster will search for you or something.

3. Random Spawn
- I think the monster's spawn should be random. If you are killed or play again, you know their location.
--------

Are they good?

[Image: StupidShit.png]

I Know. It's my Scumbag Brain that Convinced Me.
(01-04-2013, 02:12 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I Know. It's my Scumbag Brain that Convinced Me.

What I'm saying is that number 2 is already implemented when appropriate. Number 3 & 1 would just further to disrupt the games mood and tension.
I don't feel like Amnesia should be any scary...

Making it even more scary (if possible) will just lead chickens like me into not playing it at all!
FG wants people to play the game, and still make them scared... and they succeeded
------
1. No Monster Music

2. Smart Monster's

3. Random Spawn
--------

Are they good?
Comment on your First Suggestion: Both Penumbra and Amnesia had music when a monster was nearby/chasing you. To add to the 'realism' of the game, that kind of music should be removed. In real life, music doesn't just pop out of nowhere when you're being chased (unless of course a radio or something was nearby and playing).

Comment on your Second Suggestion: I loved how smart the Penumbra enemies were, so I was surprised to see dumber versions in Amnesia 1. Making new enemies smart enough to check the closets and such would be excellent!

Comment on your Third Suggestion: This idea I hadn't thought of before. It would be scarier if the monster spawn was randomized in each gameplay and each reload.

All are great suggestions! Cool

EDIT: This post is my 600th! Smile Didn't think I'd hit this high this soon.
(01-05-2013, 08:23 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: [ -> ]Comment on your First Suggestion: Both Penumbra and Amnesia had music when a monster was nearby/chasing you. To add to the 'realism' of the game, that kind of music should be removed. In real life, music doesn't just pop out of nowhere when you're being chased (unless of course a radio or something was nearby and playing).

To add 'realism' to the game, you might as well remove all the music...
there should be music only at certain places that are story related. i think a monster chase music should be there but i hope they changed it. and no monster spawn sound its predictable.
I like the way it is. Each environment has its perfectly-fitting music which gives an impression you cannot have just by looking at the map.
(01-05-2013, 08:23 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: [ -> ]
------
1. No Monster Music

2. Smart Monster's

3. Random Spawn
--------

Are they good?
Comment on your First Suggestion: Both Penumbra and Amnesia had music when a monster was nearby/chasing you. To add to the 'realism' of the game, that kind of music should be removed. In real life, music doesn't just pop out of nowhere when you're being chased (unless of course a radio or something was nearby and playing).

Comment on your Second Suggestion: I loved how smart the Penumbra enemies were, so I was surprised to see dumber versions in Amnesia 1. Making new enemies smart enough to check the closets and such would be excellent!

Comment on your Third Suggestion: This idea I hadn't thought of before. It would be scarier if the monster spawn was randomized in each gameplay and each reload.

All are great suggestions! Cool

EDIT: This post is my 600th! Smile Didn't think I'd hit this high this soon.

Thanks. I Guess.
I'd like to see a couple different monster mechanics. We had the regular ones, the stronger ones, the water monster, and the Justine suitors. Perhaps a monster that can't look down? You would have to crawl around it/in front of it and make sure you don't go too far ahead of it so it doesn't see you. Not as a monster just to have wondering around, but a scripted area. Having different monsters spawn regularly would make you have to guess which is chasing you D: But I think having a couple different encounters like the water monster would up the scare factor.

I think we should see different skins. Have all the enemies of one type share a similar, identifiable look but changes in detail. Blood splatter, clothing, body parts impaled/attached to them, etc. And I think they should also seem a little more human. We know that the gatherers in TDD were servants, so they should have names and backstories. I think it'd be a little scarier if you knew more about the people who were chasing you. Not necessarily how they got deformed, but who they were previously. It'd make the transformation seem more gruesome knowing that they used to be human.

I hated the sanity system. It was more like a crutch than an actual gameplay element. It should be more real and organic. Instead of walking like a drunk sailor, I think it should affect how you perceive the environment. Ie: The lower your sanity goes, the darker the game gets; things in the darkness seem to move; hallucinating things in the distance (a hallucination chasing you isn't in line with the what Amnesia does); and lights seem to flicker slowly (not in a startling way, just a way to make you look back at it to see if it really happened, or if something passed in front of it). In a real-life scary situation, I start to feel paranoid. Always checking my back and what not. I dont know how, but if Amnesia can convey this it'd be amazing. Maybe others are feeling it, but I'm not...

I also think the way sanity is lost and gained should be changed - being in the darkness shouldn't lower your sanity, it should act like a multiplier. If you're in the light, you have less of a chance of being affected by low sanity. I think this would give some consequence to being in the dark without ruining gameplay. The sanity meter is also way too large. It should either be easier to sink into insanity, or the different levels should have effects of different intensities. Currently, being anything between "Slight Headache" and "Head is pounding" seems to have no side effects from what I've seen. My biggest hope for AAMFP is a more realistic sanity system.

That's a lot more than I thought it was going to be 0.o But hopefully someone will enjoy reading it. Cheers!

EDIT: I saw someone thought of randomly placed enemies, but why not take it a step further and make a random level generator? It would take A LOT of time to accomplish (maybe a year of two of dev time specifically for it), but if they pulled it off there would be so much replay value. People who don't want to or can't install Custom Stories would have something to play over and over (maybe even future console versions where CS aren't available? - Coming from a PC guy). The story mode would be hand-made like normal, just add another mode.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25