Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia killed the horror genre
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Yeah seriously.
After my 4-5 playthroughs of Amnesia (Big Grin) I can't take other games or movies seriously. I recently decided to rent Dead Space 1/2 to see if theyre any scary. Long story short, I was planning to LP them if they were scary, but I found myself lol'ing through half the shit, so I ditched it.
Amnesia has destroyed my entire view of horror. I saw Insidious, not scary. Scream 4, not scary (duh). I'm afraid to even get Penumbra just because of the fact that it might not live up to my impossibly high expectations from Amnesia.
Amnesia, for me, will forever live on as the scariest game I have ever played. Period.
Nuff said.
(01-23-2011, 09:23 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]You played only Shattered Memories then.

Shattered Memories was scarier than Homecoming and The Room Tongue

SM = monsters giving you free hugs
HC = tap xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the knife to kill all
I was so afraid that I never used the lantern and instead spend half the game crawling on the floor. But because I didn't use the lantern so much, apparantly I am an intelligent gamer Big Grin
it was handy though but it made the prison area rather boring cause they didn't see me anyway.

And the games I once found scary look like putt-putt saves the zoo now.
(12-02-2010, 01:47 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: [ -> ]Condemned: Criminal Origins was 2005. I haven't played Condemned 2 yet, but the first one had a lot of moments of powerlessness. You were often at best on par with the strength of the madmen surrounding you.

The mod Korsakovia was released in 2009. I have as much trouble playing it as Amnesia. It really gets to me.

Yes! The first Condemned was a great game with a lot of genuinely scary moments and environments. I didn't play the second one. They went in a more "cool" direction with the main character and I didn't really care for the new "edginess" they were trying to achieve. I would still recommend the first one to anyone who likes scary games.
Condemned 2 was a great game, better than the first one in my opinion.

As far as the original topic...the reason we have a game as scary as Amnesia is because of the many games in the past that have done exactly what this thread started out talking about. Being so scary that it, in a way, 'ruins' other games. Raising the bar is what creates competition. Other companies are now going to realize that, if they believe Amnesia to be the best to date, that they're going to have to do better to compete. And, when that day comes, you're slump of not being able to be scared will end. I agree with the original post, how other things don't seem as scary. But it's a small price to pay to experience something great like Amnesia (and Penumbra). Better will come, it always does. That's just the way it is. Hopefully that 'better' will come from Frictional. They're great and I hope they stick to horror. 'Ruin' every other game for us again Frictional! Big Grin
(04-24-2011, 12:22 PM)vergilmaycry Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2011, 09:23 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]You played only Shattered Memories then.

Talk about a console gamer and expect people to respect your thoughts. If you are so willing to simplify things, Grunts give you a free hug too.

What a disappointment...
(04-25-2011, 07:10 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2011, 12:22 PM)vergilmaycry Wrote: [ -> ]

Talk about a console gamer and expect people to respect your thoughts. If you are so willing to simplify things, Grunts give you a free hug too.

What a disappointment...

Instead of disproving a point we don't agree with, let's insult the poster, eh? Real mature of you.

I was being sarcastic with the simplifications, and SM monsters DO surround and hug you with no actual intent to kill/strangle you, while Grunts don't (they outright kill you). Point invalid. Further, you haven't even matched my argument aside from insulting my sarcasm. Homecoming's combat system and overall enemy design ruined the fear. Busty nurses? Sure! They made sense when they symbolized James' repressed sexuality, which is absolutely appropriate in Alex looking for his kid brother.

Since when is disagreeing with someone not respecting their thoughts, btw? If you think I'm wrong, state your points. I love discussions with knowledgeable horror fans. Otherwise, don't act so condescending, since you're not the only person here who's into UFO endings and Jill sandwiches.
Why only thing people can do is 'sarcasm' and not 'replying with an idea/explanation'?
JFYI, I was being sarcasm too then, but offended? Real mature of you...

You didn't understand one bit of Homecoming and yet you talk. Well, still a big disappointment. But maybe it is me who is wrong that expects big things from a console gamer.
(04-25-2011, 04:31 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]Why only thing people can do is 'sarcasm' and not 'replying with an idea/explanation'?
JFYI, I was being sarcasm too then, but offended? Real mature of you...

You didn't understand one bit of Homecoming and yet you talk. Well, still a big disappointment. But maybe it is me who is wrong that expects big things from a console gamer.

If you have something to say, prove me wrong. State your opinion. Explain why Homecoming isn't the worst SH game in the series. As it stands, you're either in academic debate with me or you're embarrassing yourself in front of this community by acting arrogant without proving your claims. This isn't middle school, friend.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19