Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia 2: The Dark Ascent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've got some ideas for the possible sequel to the game (this is to users and the producers).

I am aware (SPOILER) that if you kill Alexander in the end of the game. I'm not exactly sure what happens, dead or alive, I the castle or not. Assuming you stay alive in the castle, this is what should happen:

Decide you have to escape the castle (obviously). Find a new hidden room that Alexander keeps by doing some sort of puzzle for access (like the timed book case puzzle in the beginning of Amnesia).

In that room, find a special potion that when applied to an object it will allow that object to interact with, and ultimately harm, spirits. Thus, pick up the potion, break the glass covering a nearby long sword cabinet, and cover that blade up with the potion. Now you have a WEAPON that you can attack enemies with. A sword may be good enough to expand the game play a but, but I would say that adding in a nice 19th century rifle would make a complete enough weapon system. Throughout the game you will find notes from Alexander explaining the creation and ingredients needed for the potion, then you will gradually search for these ingredients, and keep making new potions until you can cover up your hands and the bullets for the rifle.

For attacking with the sword I suggest a realistic approach similar to opening doors and chests. I say the mouse should be used to swing the sword around in any direction instead of clicking to make one single swing, staying true to the way you interact with things in the game. A right click should be a quick jab forward, buts that's all that would be needed on top of the normal swinging.
Now don't get me wrong here, the sequel can not turn into a Doom-series type game. The enemies should not be too common, but more common, and the game play and themes should not be modified as much as to change the essence of the series. It should still be theme and atmosphere based. Some enemies could possibly be upgraded and much harder too kill, so hard that it would be as suicidal to approach as all the enemies in the first game. With a balance of killable and non-killable enemies, game play can include running, hiding and attacking, instead of just running and hiding. A perfect and more fun experience in my opinion.

Other than my in depth opinion on the weapon system, now another suggestion. The sequel should definitely be created for PC, Mac, and Linux, but if the developers have the time and money, they should invest in porting to the consoles. I am a PC gamer and don't want to sound disloyal but I think it would be a good thing to have a larger audience and fan base (cough, = higher sales for bigger projects). But, developers: never sell out, and never lose your originality. Keep up the creativity and stay away from clichés.

At the end of the game, Daniel should make it out alive, escape the shadow for good, spread the news, and safely live on. Other story details can be worked out by Frictional. After that, I'm not sure if another sequel would do any good, but It could be possible. Just don't pull a BioShock: Infinite stunt.
First of all, a sequel wouldn't fit the storyline. Have you seen the endings?
Secondly, guns? Nononono. Daniel going all vendetta on the servants and the shadow would have its charm, yes, but why?
There will be NO SEQUEL.
It was clearly state by the devs.

USE SEARCH before post.
I can't understand how a lot of people can come up with a sequel idea... That's just... pointless.
And sequels with guns.. *shivers*
Woah guys, I don't want a sequel to be filled with guns and insane killing. I said a sword and a rifle, and the rifle wouldn't be automatic or that powerful (think muskets: http://loyalistarms.freeservers.com/1839tower.htm), it would be manually reloaded per round. Once you run out of potion for covering rounds, you can't use the gun any more, and have to keep collecting materials. And like I said, some enemies can be unstoppable, so you still will have the chance to plan around enemies instead of killing ever single one like a mad man.

I'm just saying that a basic weapon system can actually improve and expand on the game play, not ruin it.

Now about there being a sequel at all, I don't know. I thought it was a no brainer, but whatever Frictional makes I'll take it.
For a new game, your ideas are worth to consider, but for a sequel... The idea of a sequel itself fails. So, you can rename the topic, or go to the existing topic "ideas for the next game"
The swing-mechanic utterly failed to impress in Penumbra: Overture, it would have to be improved greatly in order to work.

I like the idea of the restricted use of a gun, I see possibilities where it would add to the gameplay!
Actually the weapon system would ruin part of it.
In Penumbra: Overture there was a small weapon system, which wasn't meant to be used at all, but more of a last choice thing.
However everyone, including me, simply thought that it was mandatory and that you had to use it.
When they removed it in Black Plague it worked much better.

Sure a sequel would be cool, but they already said, that there wouldn't be one.
I would also prefer a new game instead of a sequel, but a few wouldn't ruin it though.
Weapons ruin horror games, yes maybe inventory equipment/weapons for certain things for puzzles, eg. bomb. But no actual weapon mechanics would ruin it. 1 main reason why i wanted amnesia and why i find it one of the best horrors out is because you cant fight back.

Only thing i want to be solved is the ai. The ai is dumb and ruins the fear alot, 1 sec it sees you next sec its walkign in wrogn direction. Not sure if enemys were supposed to be like this as they were described in game, i think by alexander, as dumb.
Pages: 1 2 3