Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Mouse not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Frictional,

I bought Amensia: The Dark Descent on GOG.com yesterday, excited to play. When it launched, resolution and visuals all looked good. Sound was good. But after the brief cinematic intro, when I arrive at the first scene of the game, my keyboard works but the mouse has no response. My mouse works fine in the main menus, and the options menus, but I have no mouse control in-game, and that includes when I pull up the mementos scree (I can see the cursor but I get no movement). GOG tells me I have version 1.41 installed.

I have read through the troubleshooting guide, but nothing seems to affect the issue. Here is what I have tried so far:

- verified game files
- changed resolution
- reset default controls
- run in compatibility mode
- run with fullscreen optimizations disabled
- run from launcher, not GOG
- close Steam and GOG

A number of Steam threads said that the issue was due to not being optimized to a mouse with high DPI. However, on the version of Amenisa I have, the override high DIP box is automatically checked, with DPI to be run by the application. So that fix doesn't work for me.

Other threads attribute the problem to the SDL.dll file. I tried to download SDL 1.2.13, but that did not make any difference to the issue. I could not find an SDL 1.2.15, as the link here on the Forum just downloads a file with SDL 1.2.14. So changing SDL files has so far not worked for me. Some people seem to think you have fixed this issue on the Steam version but not the GOG version; maybe that's the issue?

I have attached the HPL log, and I really hope you can help, as I've so been looking forward to playing this. This is the only game I've ever had this problem with. I play SOMA with no issues. I appreciate the help!
As a quick note, if it helps, I am running Windows 10, with an NVIDIA Geforce 1650.
What mouse do you have? Could you try running the game in windowed mode and see if that helps?
(08-21-2020, 10:08 AM)nebej Wrote: [ -> ]What mouse do you have? Could you try running the game in windowed mode and see if that helps?

Unsure how to get the game in windowed mode, but I'm having exactly the same problem. I have a standard Logitech mouse and am using Win 10. Even more, I cannot turn around - this may or may not be linked to the mouse issue. 

On the welcome menu I can use the mouse to choose a menu item, but in the game, if I press the bring up the Journal, the mouse does not work - I need to use the up and down arrow buttons instead to look at the different menu options. The same mouse problem applies if I open the Inventory - the mouse is visible but unable to move. If I press 'Esc' the mouse works but that is the only time it works in game.

On my secondary issue, trying to change the R button for turning (for example to T) makes no difference - still no movement.

Am really keen to play this game, so any help is appreciated. I've attached the hpl.log.
I've just read a post on GOG from someone who owns the game. The person wrote that when the game updated from 1.41 to 1.41a these problems occurred: 'mouse input doesn't work (you can move the cursor around but you cannot look around). And for some reason when starting a new game you do not get the option to start in "Normal" or "Hard" mode.'

I also never had the option of a normal or hard mode when I started the game.
(08-21-2020, 10:08 AM)nebej Wrote: [ -> ]What mouse do you have? Could you try running the game in windowed mode and see if that helps?

Nebej, I am using the Jelly Comb bluetooth mouse, but before I posted on this board, I did check the game with my old Dell USB wired mouse, which was developed before Amensia was even made. No difference. The trackpad does not register either, so I don't think it has anything to do with the mice I'm using.

I'm pretty sure this is a Windows 10 problem. My copy of Amensia is through GOG, like Astalon above, but looking at the Steam forum, I see that there has been a history of this problem related to Windows 10 updates. Unfortunately, none of the solutions noted in these threads work anymore.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/57300/dis...953845721/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/57300/dis...973565822/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/57300/dis...606553594/

I'm happy to supply more PC data, like msconfig, if that would help you.
(08-21-2020, 06:06 PM)Astalon Wrote: [ -> ]I've just read a post on GOG from someone who owns the game. The person wrote that when the game updated from 1.41 to 1.41a these problems occurred: 'mouse input doesn't work (you can move the cursor around but you cannot look around). And for some reason when starting a new game you do not get the option to start in "Normal" or "Hard" mode.'

I also never had the option of a normal or hard mode when I started the game.

That's very helpful Astalon! And I'd like to second that I also have not seen an option regarding difficulty when I start the game. Nebej, is it possible that the GOG version does not have the latest update?
Nebej,

I just tried Amnesia in windowed mode, and the mouse still does not work there either. So it makes no difference whether it's windowed or full screen, and what resolution the game is set at.

I did notice this time, and I wonder if Astalan has the same feature, that when I moved around in the room, a memento was scrawled, and the text at the top of the screen noted that I could look at the memento. The controls it showed were for both keyboard and gamepad. So it's almost as if the game thinks I am using a gamepad to play, and not a mouse. But I can't see anywhere in the options to tell it to switch inputs (I don't have a gamepad currently connected to the PC).

In order to test this hypothesis, I pulled out my wireless Xbox controller, and loaded up the game. Sure enough, it works! Astalan, if you have a gamepad, see if it works for you too. I can do full movement in the game with my Xbox controller. So it's pretty clear at this point that something in Amenesia thinks the input should be a gamepad and not the mouse. How do we switch the inputs?
(08-22-2020, 01:05 AM)decorusveritas Wrote: [ -> ]Nebej,

I just tried Amnesia in windowed mode, and the mouse still does not work there either. So it makes no difference whether it's windowed or full screen, and what resolution the game is set at.

I did notice this time, and I wonder if Astalan has the same feature, that when I moved around in the room, a memento was scrawled, and the text at the top of the screen noted that I could look at the memento. The controls it showed were for both keyboard and gamepad. So it's almost as if the game thinks I am using a gamepad to play, and not a mouse. But I can't see anywhere in the options to tell it to switch inputs (I don't have a gamepad currently connected to the PC).

In order to test this hypothesis, I pulled out my wireless Xbox controller, and loaded up the game. Sure enough, it works! Astalan, if you have a gamepad, see if it works for you too. I can do full movement in the game with my Xbox controller. So it's pretty clear at this point that something in Amenesia thinks the input should be a gamepad and not the mouse. How do we switch the inputs?

Great work decorusveritas! I still don't know how to get to windowed mode. I can do it on other games but not this. I don't own any games system, and therefore do not own a gamepad, so I cannot confirm what you have found re gamepad vs mouse use.
(08-21-2020, 10:56 PM)decorusveritas Wrote: [ -> ]

Nebej, I am using the Jelly Comb bluetooth mouse, but before I posted on this board, I did check the game with my old Dell USB wired mouse, which was developed before Amensia was even made. No difference. The trackpad does not register either, so I don't think it has anything to do with the mice I'm using.

I'm pretty sure this is a Windows 10 problem. My copy of Amensia is through GOG, like Astalon above, but looking at the Steam forum, I see that there has been a history of this problem related to Windows 10 updates. Unfortunately, none of the solutions noted in these threads work anymore.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/57300/dis...953845721/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/57300/dis...973565822/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/57300/dis...606553594/

I'm happy to supply more PC data, like msconfig, if that would help you.

I've also tried every solution from the Steam forums - compatibility, screen resolution high DPI, and nothing works. To quote someone on Steam who is having the same experience as me, 'So far this game is a "Looking out a rainy window simulator".' 
Pages: 1 2 3 4