Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Framerate drops randomly after loading previous games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

After loading a previously saved game, I notice that even if not moving anywhere in the game, the FPS will start at 60 and then for no reason drop to 57 or 55 FPS which will cause a stutter. Keep in mind, I am not moving around anywhere in the game, after loading a game, I watch the FPS and usually after 20seconds or so, i see the FPS drop to 57, 55, etc. If I am moving in the game at the time this FPS drop occurs, I notice the stutter. What is the reason for this? When I look at the Task Manager, it looks like the memory is increasing slightly when the FPS drop occurs. But even if the FPS drops to 57 or 55, i dont think it should stutter, shouldn't notice a stutter prolly until the FPS drops to below 30. I have tried disabling Aero and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also, I tried disabling all non-MS services and starup items through msconfig and didn't make a difference either. Finally, I set ALL settings to the lowest they could be (i.e. SSAO off, Low textures, 640x480 resolution, etc) and this problem still exists so seems to me like a problem with the games programming. Is this some problem related to buffering or something else that can be tweaked. I am attaching my main_settings.cfg file for your review.

My specs are as follows:
Intel I7 950 3.06 Quad core (stock settings)
Corsair Dominator DDR3 DHX 6GB 1600MHz ram 8-8-8-24 timings
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
EVGA GTX 480 1.5MB
EVGA X58 FTW3
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Its possible you have a memory leak when you installed the game, it can occur when installing multiple things or moving/accessing lots of data while its installing

This can be fixed be uninstalling and re-installing the game, but first.

Please post your hpl.log file, located in your documents/amnesia/main
Hi there,

Not sure how a memory leak even if it occurred during installation could still affect a game long after the installation...

I've attached the hpl.log as requested, hopefully it will tell you something that will be able to resolve this issue.

Thanks again!
(01-12-2011, 05:46 AM)WhiteKnight Wrote: [ -> ]EVGA GTX 480 1.5MB

Well theres your problem Tongue

Out of curiosity, did you install it to the SSD? You've got all the latest drivers installed? (Inc video, sound etc)
I believe I have the same problem on some other games with my GTX 470.
However, this doesn't affect the rest of the game, so I don't mind it that much.
LOL at the 1.5MB typo Tongue. Anyway, yes I installed the game to the SSD and I have the latest video/sound card drivers loaded, all Windows 7 updates applied, etc. Any useful info in that hpl.log?
well, i reinstalled the game and began from the beginning again and now I am not getting the stutter in those places that I was in the particular save file so does seem like something that got buggered up in the save file somehow. Although, instead of creating my own savegames and loading those, I am just using the save games that the game creates automatically and seems to be working fine now 60FPS steady. I can't remember if I already patched the game though, how can I tell if the game is patched or not? I don't want to just go ahead and patch the game if it's already patched, for fear of screwing something up.