Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Some Questions - scripting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

I have some dumb questions. But, you know, people are dumb.
I have BAAAASIC JavaScript knowledge btw.
Here we go:

1. I dont get it. How do i create Journal entries? I followed the guide on the wiki but if i pick up the notice it just displays an empty letter.

My extra_english.lang looks like this:

Code:
<LANGUAGE>
    <CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
        <Entry Name="Description">Yuck!</Entry>
    </CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
        <Entry Name="Note_Beginning_Name">BLA BLA</Entry>
        <Entry Name="Note_Beginning_Text">Bla Blah Blah Blah!</Entry>
</LANGUAGE>

and in the HPL editor i created a note_generic entity, and wrote "Beginning" into the NoteText field of the entity.
(also, i get no ingame Description, but that doesnt matter)

2. How can i display a text on the screen when the player looks on a specific point (like in the cistern)? I already messed around with the Sign Area, but i didnt manage it to work.

3. How do i create Mementos? ^^

There will be more questions soon^^ (i think)
KonKaizo
1. You didn't close </CATEGORY> thing in the language file.
2. Every time player looks a place, you want to see same message, just place a "sign area" there, and open a category and write the entry.
3. You mean flashbacks?
(01-19-2011, 06:45 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]1. You didn't close </CATEGORY> thing in the language file.
2. Every time player looks a place, you want to see same message, just place a "sign area" there, and open a category and write the entry.
3. You mean flashbacks?

1. oh. :/ i must have been drunk when scripting this
2. Will test it.
3. No, i mean Mementos. Like: "The Key is locked. Go find a key.". Maybe its called otherwise in englsih, in german its "memento". (You can access to them with "M") Tongue
Oh, sorry, it's me didn't understand.
I'm not good with objectives. I'm just a new noob for the tools.

I guess those are related to quest things, but better to check main game's files (map and/or hps files).
2. An alternative to using a sign area would be to set a LookAt callback in the script, then have the called function use the SetMessage function.

3. For momentos, you'll need to use the AddQuest function for a trigger in your script, which will add a momento to the journal. Momentos in the .lang file go under the "Journal" category and will go off whatever entry you put in the script file.

Syntax: AddQuest(string& asName, string& asNameAndTextEntry);

asName - Name of the quest

asNameAndTextEntry - The Entry that will be used in the .lang file

e.g

In the script -
Code:
void AddCrowBarQuest(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
AddQuest("crowbarquest", "CrowBarQuest");
}

In the .lang file -
Code:
    <CATEGORY Name="Journal">

<Entry Name="Quest_CrowBarQuest_Text">The door's blocked by weak planks of wood. Maybe I can find something to pry them off?</Entry>

</CATEGORY>
Thanks for the explanation!
Thank you!

Yet another Question.

I want that, if the player lits one of 2 specific lamps, he is forced too look somewhere and an entity (not a monster) activates. Additionally, a shocking sound should play, like in the storage room when the altar lamps get suddenly lit. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance^^
Possible, you can call back functions when player interacted with an entity. You can play sanity sounds in those functions. You can lit a lamp when a player looks somewhere. Many things are possible, but requires some trail & error.