Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Not scared of Amnesia anymore, and it's ruined the game for me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've always had this problem with horror games whereby I can be scared during the first few hours of gameplay. But after that, I become used to it, and it stops scaring me. It ultimately makes me feel like I'm missing out on the experience. Some horror games I've found were perfectly enjoyable games even with the horror bits peeled off, but that hasn't been my experience with Penumbra and Amnesia.

I bought all the Penumbra games a while ago on a Steam sale. I put on headphones, turned off the lights, and started playing Overture. I loved the interface, loved the exploration involved, and was absolutely terrified. But somewhere along the line, I just stopped getting scared. Rather than cautiously creeping around the levels, I began sprinting through pitch black corridors. I lost the patience to hide from enemies, and started simply beating up the dogs with whatever weapons I had, assuming it would be quicker. But that felt more like I was fighting against the game's awkward weapon handling than the dogs. I grew tired, and never finished Overture.

The same thing has now happened with Amnesia. Whenever I see an enemy in it, I become frustrated rather than frightened. I love the puzzle solving, and I love exploring the dark and gloomy castle. I especially love piecing the story together using the notes I find and the flashbacks. But the enemies feel more like obstacles between me and the things I enjoy in Amnesia.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do to make it more bearable?
Would you rather enjoy playing amnesia without any enemy's?
I would, yes.
Btw, overture and black plague are way different games.

Black plague is more like amnesia, except eventually the enemys get flashlights and run into you face first a bit more so its a little more diverse and less repetitive.
yeah, finish overture and play BP for a start, as shev said, their different games, but what it sounds like is that you have lost the immersion, but yeah, i think everyone reaches that point in overture and just legs it, it becomes a lot easier than actually playing, it sounds like you stopped playing because you enjoy it and just because you wanted to get to the end for the sake of getting there, that may be why it stopped being enjoyable.
I don't think finishing for the sake of finishing is why I started to rush the game. I still liked exploring, solving puzzles and such, and wanted to carry on with that. But why creep and sneak to the next story point or puzzle when you can sprint and bludgeon your way there? Smile

I'd like to finish Overture and play Black Plague, but I'll be doing it in that order. I don't want to go anywhere near Black Plague until I've finished Overture.
(01-26-2011, 09:26 AM)lemming77 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think finishing for the sake of finishing is why I started to rush the game. I still liked exploring, solving puzzles and such, and wanted to carry on with that. But why creep and sneak to the next story point or puzzle when you can sprint and bludgeon your way there? Smile

I'd like to finish Overture and play Black Plague, but I'll be doing it in that order. I don't want to go anywhere near Black Plague until I've finished Overture.

yeah, but it seems like your more of a puzzle game player, more keyed to solving problems to get to the end, it may not be playing to win but it can has a similar effect.
Oh right, I see what you mean now. Yeah, I agree.
Sadly, it just seems like you're unable more than unwilling to enjoy the game as intended. There's no easy way to regain the spark. You could try promising yourself that one of the rules of playing is that you log out for the day if a monster catches you/you die, to add consequences that you fear for not playing cautiously.
(01-26-2011, 09:26 AM)lemming77 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think finishing for the sake of finishing is why I started to rush the game. I still liked exploring, solving puzzles and such, and wanted to carry on with that. But why creep and sneak to the next story point or puzzle when you can sprint and bludgeon your way there? Smile

You'd love penumbra requiem.

Its all puzzles. Literally. Its like portal, except without the portal gun and that evil robot bitch.
Pages: 1 2 3