Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Strange Monster noises
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone else wondering about that peculiar sound the servants make once they spot you and start chasing you. I'm talking about the crude, sort of metallic but rather unnatural sound. It's not very subtle either and different from the metal clanking and scraping sounds the brutes make. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was supposed to be. I personally think it's a pretty creepy sound.
You sure it isn't the brute giving off that sound? I always thought it was him, but was too scared to find out :/
No, there is a sound that comes from both the brutes and grunts when they become alert and start chasing you. The brute makes a metallic sound of its own, but that is separate.
Found it...
sounds\ui\ui_terror_meter.snt
I think it's there just to make it very clear something is after you.
I'm a little confused on what you're asking. Are you talking about this noise? Or something else? If so I'm very interested on how the creators made that horrid little thing >v>

But in game wise yeah, like what everyone else has said I think it's main purpose really is to get you into 'bitch, you better run' mode and notch up the fear factor
I look at it as sort of the audio equivalent of fear or an adrenaline rush. Like you're hearing the fear that Daniel feels when he's been spotted.

I also think it's main purpose is to let you know you're about to be chased, but I can't think of what else that sound would be. It doesn't seem to get louder or softer depending on how close a grunt or brute is from what I remember, so I don't think it comes from them.
(03-02-2011, 12:05 AM)Krohm Wrote: [ -> ]I look at it as sort of the audio equivalent of fear or an adrenaline rush. Like you're hearing the fear that Daniel feels when he's been spotted.

I also think it's main purpose is to let you know you're about to be chased, but I can't think of what else that sound would be. It doesn't seem to get louder or softer depending on how close a grunt or brute is from what I remember, so I don't think it comes from them.

Yeah, that's a good way to look at it I guess.
If it's the sound I'm thinking of, I always took it as kind of an insanity thing. Like Daniel is so scared that blood begins rushing to his head and makes his ears ring. Or it could just be a very cool way to alert of you of an incoming monster.
Yeah, it's a UI sound. I found that out while using the editor later on after I made this thread.
It's a high pitched, stressful screeching sound effect that was included in the game for the sole purpose of informing you in a less-than-subtle manner that you'd BETTER RUN OR UR GONNA DIEEEE

And it goes off whether or not the monster chasing you is a brute or a grunt.
Pages: 1 2