Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: White Night - Total Conversion v1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what post? Wasn't me either... Smile

EDIT: remembered that it was me... Tongue
(09-20-2011, 09:37 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]what post? Wasn't me either... Smile
My post, which was strange in my opinion because all I posted was that I agreed with nemesis, nothing flaming

(09-20-2011, 10:02 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2011, 09:37 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]what post? Wasn't me either... Smile
My post, which was strange in my opinion because all I posted was that I agreed with nemesis, nothing flaming
Oh yes, it was me. A [2] right? Yes, this is considered a very small type of spam if forums especially when done excessively. So, I deleted it. There is no need to second someone by writing it unless what he said is very true or unless you want to add something.
okay, i did not know that, thank you, because the forum I'm usually on has no rule against that

I have a question for you Tanshaydar, I know you're a fan of Silent Hill 2, will you be using any silent hill ish music in this custom story?

Or any Silent Hill influences at all?
(09-20-2011, 11:09 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question for you Tanshaydar, I know you're a fan of Silent Hill 2, will you be using any silent hill ish music in this custom story?

I didn't see this question until now, sorry about that.

My music is from a fan group, whom music is based on Silent Hill music, so you can get a great Silent Hill taste musically, since they're a great group. I'm not using Original Silent Hill Soundtracks.

So, for any influence. You will see them in the game. There will be some easter eggs and references that most of you will like.

As graphical influences... I think a little teasing will do no harm:

Spoiler below!
[Image: mental_3.jpg]
(09-28-2011, 08:03 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2011, 11:09 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question for you Tanshaydar, I know you're a fan of Silent Hill 2, will you be using any silent hill ish music in this custom story?

I didn't see this question until now, sorry about that.

My music is from a fan group, whom music is based on Silent Hill music, so you can get a great Silent Hill taste musically, since they're a great group. I'm not using Original Silent Hill Soundtracks.

So, for any influence. You will see them in the game. There will be some easter eggs and references that most of you will like.

As graphical influences... I think a little teasing will do no harm:

Spoiler below!
[Image: mental_3.jpg]
ok.... that fan just made have an eyegasm.... can't wait to see this done!

btw.... Tanshy.... i am makeing a new small sized custom story called Life Lender ( its a bit bigger then Justine) and it is kinda inspired by your custom story Tongue (and a bit silent hill too) though i want to explore many other kinds of lightning.... but what i am here for is: do you have eny advices to the story or level design? because i really want this custom story to be good Big Grin sorry if this request souds a bit childish Tongue

Of course it's not a childish question. Since no one expect Lee played White Night so far, it's not that possible to say 'great story' or 'good mod'. If people really like it after playing this, I might have a few things to say about development process, but for now, all I can say are these:
  • Decide what you want to do, and unless something extreme occurs, stay loyal to that decision.
  • Decide what kind of atmosphere you want to create, what kind of feeling you want to taste from playing it.
  • Decide a gameplay. Puzzle based? Survival? Horror? Story-oriented? Stick to it and do not stray too much, only to prevent gameplay to become boring. For example WN is story-oriented, however it has its puzzles and monster sequences too (they are all relevant to story of course, but that's another topic).
  • Read, watch, play the products that are similar to what you are trying. Take notes if needed. Of course it is always good to bring a fresh breath to new products.

For lightning. Player will find it frustrating if it's too dark. It will not have a scary look if it's too bright. However, it always depends on what feeling you want to give. Daylight often tends to give a feeling of relaxation. Low light is contrary.
Shadows give a realistic and authentic feeling to scene; however if used too much, they will lead to performance issues. There are lots of things to discuss; and lots of other things that are only my opinion and open to discuss; however, as I said, it would be best to wait and see what kind of reaction WN will get.
One thing I can say about lighting...
READ THIS TUTORIAL: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_2
DO IT!

I know it's hard to figure out at first, but there are so many custom stories that don't even have box lights, and rely only on the light from the lamps. The end result is (at least in my opinion) very frustrating to play in and incredibly unrealistic. If you can get lighting down well, you will have done more than the average mapper.
I don't have box light in most of my maps.
Well what I have found is that if a map doesn't have a lightbox, once the player gets into the darkness, the dark-o-vision (for lack of a better term ~_~) doesn't really turn on (or not enough to be useful) and it's still almost impossible to see. Now if the map has a lot of lighting and not a lot of dark areas, then this might not be so much of a problem. However, I've also noticed that without light boxes, players in lighted areas tend to not be able to see out of that area very well; when a player is standing under a light a player should still be able to see a little ways past the light, but if there is no ambient light box it more or less straight cuts off. This to me is what is most obnoxious/unrealistic.

Now yes, this DOES work for some situations, such as the storage or the prison in the main game, but the lighting in these places is also described as un-natural and is done for very specific purposes. However, any place that needs even a semblance of realistic lighting (even places such as the torture_naive) require box lights to at least set the shadow darkness. Think about it; when you hold up a lamp in the darkness, it doesn't just illuminate a meter around it and then suddenly stop. It illuminates perhaps a meter and then poorly lights other things nearby.