Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Level Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm new to this editor, I've used other editors in the past like Source SDK.
Just the scripting is a little confusing, I need to know how to create an event when I pick up a key and a monster spawns outside the room, smashes the door and after about 30 seconds walks off and de-spawns.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Big Grin
(03-14-2011, 05:31 AM)SampleFriend Wrote: [ -> ]I'm new to this editor, I've used other editors in the past like Source SDK.
Just the scripting is a little confusing, I need to know how to create an event when I pick up a key and a monster spawns outside the room, smashes the door and after about 30 seconds walks off and de-spawns.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Big Grin

Well, the only thing is, there are a lot of variables when it comes to scripting. But I'll give you an example to work off of.

Code:
OnStart()
{
//Key_01, the name of the key entity.
SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback("key_01", "spawn_monster", true);
//Add an Area Script with the name Area_1, just in front of the door the player enters.
AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "Area_1", "close_door", true, 1);
}

void spawn_monster(string &in asEntity)
{
//monster_1, name of the monster entity.
SetEntityActive("monster_1", true);

//Add a path node inside the room, name it node_1
AddEnemyPatrolNode("monster_1", "node_1", 30.0f, "");
//Add a path node outside the room, name it node_2
AddEnemyPatrolNode("monster_1", "node_2", 0.0f, "");
//Add a area script outside the room, with node_2 inside of it
AddEntityCollideCallback("monster_1", "Area_2", "despawn_monster", true, 1);
}

void close_door(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
SetSwingDoorLocked("door_1", true, true);
}

void despawn_monster(string &in asEntity)
{
SetEntityActive("monster_1", false);
}

If you like, I can go into detail of the script. You'll have to go back and change the names of the entities in your map for this to work. As I said, VARIABLES

Also, check this out.
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions
Thanks, I'll give it a test now.

EDIT: Sorry, but what should I have in the map, like a script named spawn_monster?
Again, sorry :/ new to this
(03-14-2011, 05:57 AM)SampleFriend Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I'll give it a test now.

EDIT: Sorry, but what should I have in the map, like a script named spawn_monster?
Again, sorry :/ new to this

Added dev notes to it on what to do, check the code again
(03-14-2011, 06:27 AM)Russ Money Wrote: [ -> ]Added dev notes to it on what to do, check the code again

Thank you sooo much!
Did it teach you anything? Let me know if it makes any sense now, scripting, i mean.
(03-14-2011, 07:16 AM)Russ Money Wrote: [ -> ]Did it teach you anything? Let me know if it makes any sense now, scripting, i mean.

Yeah, makes more sense then it did a few hours ago. Just one more question (might have more if there's more errors) I get an error when I launch the second map (which is the level I'm using the script for)

"FATAL ERROR: Could not load script file 'custom_stories/Test Custom Story/maps/ch01/D:/Test Custom Story/ch01/Test_Map_ch02.hps!
Main (1, 8) : ERR : Expected identifier" Angry

I'm not sure where this "/ch01/D:/Test Custom Story/ch01/" is coming from though, it should just be "custom_stories/Test Custom Story/maps/ch01/Test_Map_ch02.hps" right?
(03-14-2011, 08:02 AM)SampleFriend Wrote: [ -> ]"FATAL ERROR: Could not load script file 'custom_stories/Test Custom Story/maps/ch01/D:/Test Custom Story/ch01/Test_Map_ch02.hps!
Main (1, 8) : ERR : Expected identifier" Angry

I'm not sure where this "/ch01/D:/Test Custom Story/ch01/" is coming from though, it should just be "custom_stories/Test Custom Story/maps/ch01/Test_Map_ch02.hps" right?

What Main (1, 8) means is there is a error on line 1, the 8th character. Usually a misplaced quotation mark " or semi-colon ;
(03-14-2011, 08:17 AM)Russ Money Wrote: [ -> ]What Main (1, 8) means is there is a error on line 1, the 8th character. Usually a misplaced quotation mark " or semi-colon ;

Ah, ok I'll have a look.
Thanks again.

EDIT: Undecided first line is OnStart() and I've copied pasted the code that you've posted and I haven't edited it.
(03-14-2011, 08:27 AM)SampleFriend Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2011, 08:17 AM)Russ Money Wrote: [ -> ]What Main (1, 8) means is there is a error on line 1, the 8th character. Usually a misplaced quotation mark " or semi-colon ;

Ah, ok I'll have a look.
Thanks again.

If you post the first part of your code, I'll take a look and see if I can tell you what's making the error.
Pages: 1 2