Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
I'll join the praising choir. This is the best custom story I have ever played. The lighting, the detail and the thought put behind the creation of the environment is simply brilliant. To discover new areas is a pure pleasure in this map. I especially loved your transition from "house" to "slaughterhouse". Smooth and natural. I agree with previous speakers of this matter.

Downside:
Spoiler below!

The downside was the carpet riddle, found it too hard. I had to look for help in this thread to solve it.

Long story:
A re-tell of a my gameplay in "carpet room" (wish I had filmed it):
As the grunt patrolled in I first waited for him to vanish, which he obviously does not. I then sneaked behind the bookcase to pick up the key. As I grabbed for the key I accidentally touched the book, or something else which caused one of the books to "bug itself" (or scripted by you). The book flew against the wall of the hidden safe several times until it caused the key to drop down on the floor. I thought "if the monster didn't hear that then something is wrong". I waited. Luckily he did not. Picking up the key I thought "Let's see if I can throw a book to make him go over into the corner." I threw one of the two books.

Blam. It went into the bookcase before it hit the ground. Now the monster heard me. He came walking to the bookcase. I however, sneaked around to the short side (like a ninja) right at the moment he looked behind that bookcase. When he returned to the room I sneaked back, threw the second book and succeeded this time. He went over towards the maps and I started sneaking towards the door. Two meters from the door the full insanity effect hit me. I tried to move against the door, but I was moving at snail-like speed. "Damn I'm never going to make it, he's returning to patrol mode!" I could hear him grunting behind me. I'm done for. So I changed my mind and slowly crawled towards the hidden hole in the ground. He saw me there and started charging. Right on time I became sane again and was able to jump down the hole, sticking to the wall of the hole and avoiding fall damage.

I'm not easily scared, but the maximum unluck of that situation got me going. In all I didn't find the rest scary, except for that pile of books coming from a shelf. Nice effect!

Uh, I don't know what to tell you about the book bugging out. That's gotta be a bug with the physics engine, not my level. I even made sure those books weren't touching anything solid, because physics objects bug out when they're in other objects. Weird. I'm sorry you encountered such a strange problem. Sad

@DamnNoHtml: I'd love that. I'm not that great of a storyteller, I'm more of an environment person. I'll definitely hit you up once I get rolling on another. Smile
The downside was the carpet, the book thing actually added to the experience. I think it occurs when two entitites become stuck in one another. No need to excuse yourself Wink
I made a frictional games account just so I could post in this thread and say that this is easily the best custom story I have played. The atmosphere and events that filled this story were perfect. The only bad thing about it was it ended. Keep up the fantastic work. Big Grin
(05-23-2011, 10:59 AM)Tenno Wrote: [ -> ]I made a frictional games account just so I could post in this thread and say that this is easily the best custom story I have played. The atmosphere and events that filled this story were perfect. The only bad thing about it was it ended. Keep up the fantastic work. Big Grin

don't worry, it is only a Demo. Soon we will have the full experience I hope...
Good work Sir! I am very fond of your custom story.
Spoiler below!
But it took me 25 minutes to realise that the carpet was moveable. I am not saying it´s bad with tricky puzzels but because of the drawer boxes that laid on top of it you had to move them before you could interact with the carpet it self.
Spoiler below!
Also when I finally uncoverd the safe I could not find the key. I threw away the books but could not find it. So I replayed it all and this time I could find it. I don´t know why it was not there the first time but it could been my fault because I did pick out a sanity potion before I moved the shelf and tried to get the one book out, that could triggered a bug but I am not sure.
Hey there.

I have a problem with playing your custom story (or I might doing something wrong).

I dragged the content of your .rar to my main folder which copied the maps as you stated but when I play Amnesia, I can't find your 'Snow-in' file in my custom story list?

Regards.

Acalypso.
are you sure you put the files into the folder which contains billboards, textures and many other folders ?
drag the contents of the .rar file inside redist folder, not the main Amnesia - The Dark Descent folder found under Program Files.
(05-23-2011, 05:30 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]drag the contents of the .rar file inside redist folder, not the main Amnesia - The Dark Descent folder found under Program Files.

Thanks for solving it, I'm playing it right now. Wink

Acalypso.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18