Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: I'm a dumb person.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've always had a knack when it comes to map building, but when it comes to scripting, I'm totally lost.

But I decided to give it a go and I got this, and of course it doesn't work, can someone help me fix it so I can understand it? I'm trying to make it so when the player walks it a script area a sound plays.

Code:
void OnStart(){
    int GiveLanternOnStart = 0; // Set to 1 to receive a Lantern on start of game
    int TinderboxStartAmount = 0; // Amount of Tinderboxes you receive on start of game

// SetPlayerSanity(100.0f);
    SetPlayerLampOil(0.0f);

SetNumberOfQuestsInMap(1);

AddQuest("Explore","Explore");

PlayMusic("06_amb.ogg", true, 1, 3, 0, true);

SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback("Player","Script1","PlaySound("Sound_1")",true,1);
    }

//if(ScriptDebugOn()){
    }

void OnEnter(){
    }

void OnLeave(){
    }
You have an interaction callback. Is this what you want? Or you want to make a collide call back, when player enters that script area.
Code:
void Func(stuff)
{
    PlaySoundAtEntity(stuff);
}

Void OnStart()
{
     AddEntityCollideCallback(stuff);
}
As Tanshaydar said, there are multiple ways to call functions. Thepaleking's example is how you would go about making it so a sound plays when a character enters an area.

Check the script functions page for more information, but here's the general format for what you are trying to do:

Code:
/*The 1 signifies that the function will be called upon entering the area.  -1 means it will be called upon leaving the area.  0 means both.
*/
void OnStart()
{
   AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "NameOfArea", "NameOfFunction", "DestroyCallbackOnUse(true or false)", 1);  
}

void NameOfFunction(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
    PlaySoundAtEntity("soundname", "soundfile", "entity", "fadetime", "savesound")
}

Note that you should probably keep "savesound" as false, because it will loop otherwise. Soundname isn't important, just pick something that no other sound uses.
(03-21-2011, 03:41 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]You have an interaction callback. Is this what you want? Or you want to make a collide call back, when player enters that script area.

Yes I want a collide call back so when I enter the area.
Double post sorry, but what does

"NameOfFunction" mean? Or where can I find it?
It is a placeholder. It can be like that, or you can write there "ThisIsAnAwesomeFunctionThatWillBlowYourMind_Version_2" or simply "AreaCollision".
That's something you decide.