Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: My First Custom Story: Her Games [4th update]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey Guys!
I'm finally done! This is my first testmap ever! I decided to enhance it a bit, give it some plot and voice-acting and here you go! My first custom story.
It's short, sadly, and there might be glitches. Keep in mind that this is my first map ever, so I'm still learning.
I've tested the map to see if everything works, and for as far as I know, it does. If you run into any errors, please let me know.
Also, of course, let me know what you think: Great, horrible, aweful... please, I'm very open to (constructive) critism!
anyways, here's the link:
Her Games: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MZBSFWL9
Here is the updated version, I haven't labelled doors yet, but I got rid of some bugs, and added something else...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=52SVU7X3
also, did you know I've hidden a secret note in my map? first one to find it gets a cookie!

----- EDIT
Another Update: Got rid of a texture glitch, made sure the monsters work, and got rid of a glitching barrel. I also labeled (most of) the level doors... There will probably be another update, since I'm thinking about another secret... anyways: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RGMON8Z5
3rd Update: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CQ9AG8N3 no extra secret yet... I just fixed the but with the monsters (partually)
4th Update: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7BYCFS3 the monster problem is now fully solved, they now walk the path they are supposed to Smile.
Just tried it, the key to the hallway door does not unlock the locked level door (which I imagine is the one it is meant to unlock.)

Unfortunately I have no time to finish it right now, but I will when I get a chance.

The error is a lack of AddUseItemCallback for the key on the door.

Also, in the Custom03.hps, change the function name to "Finale" or it won't work. You currently have "Finaly" Tongue

-Hallway key doesn't work in the hallway

-You have some flickering textures int the ceiling on the second map

-During the "sneaking" part I can pretty much just walk all the way to the other end without running into anyone, and I encounter a monster I can side-step out of the way. (Need to make the monster move around more)

-You might want to start labeling doors. I not sure which door is the hallway door.
I'll try to work on it! Tongue bear in mind though that it's 2:39 am here... an update can take a while... I'll try and do something about the monsters!
Ha, Karai living out her sadistic Jigsaw-Killer-phantasies on the poor player! Tongue But seriously I liked this idea very much.

Spoiler below!

This felt like very good beginning for a custom story because the notes had a good "tutorial" style (e.g. the "Okay, look at the ceiling then" one). Also, it's of course great that they come with a well done voice acting (although the human grunts in the end don't really fit to the then played grunt sound that comes with the games - but I guess that's hard to achieve).

Overall the map was a bit empty - but then again it's set up by "her" only to play her game with the player so I think it's allright.

The quests were very easy (that's also why I'd say this is the tutorial for a greater custom story): You pick up a new item, a monster spawns, you hide in the dark, and after a few seconds the monster is gone. This could be made a little harder maybe by having the monster search the exact location of the picked up item. Also, they should patrol longer I think. Or maybe the only place to hide in a situation could be a cabinet that is packed with stuff that the player has to remove quickly.

I think the story could be a great base for a lot of other trap like situations "she" puts you in. There could be a room on fire where the player has to save his live by using the bucket which has to be found and filled with water in a limited amount of time. And of course "she" must be breeding water "pets", too, the player has to deal with. Wink

Going further in the story, the player could find notes of former victims - before eventually killing "her" to put all this to an end (yeah, I like happy endings Tongue). But of course all of this would mean much much work that I doubt anyone would find enough spare time for. Undecided

Bottom line: Cool idea, it was fun to play this!

(Sadly, I didn't find the secret note yet. Will play again just for the cookie!)

Edit after a 2nd play-through (still without the secret message ;s):
Spoiler below!
On my first play, I didn't find the note that informs me about two monsters patrolling around the dungeon so I didn't wonder about anything. This time I found it but there are no monsters spawning. I have no level editing skills whatsoever so I can't tell what's the problem. A little nitpicking: In the room with the second lever, at the lower corner right to the smashed door there's a small flickering texture.
THAT, was awsome. Very nice map for your first one. The scares were preety predictible, the only one that cought me offguard was the one
Spoiler below!
with the first lever
Wish the map was longer Sad. Your voice acting is preety good too ! Loved that transformation thingy at the end.
You made the candle float in mid-air... impressive...
Excellent map , no bugs noticed yet.
i like idea with key on the ceiling
(05-15-2011, 11:18 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]You made the candle float in mid-air... impressive...

congrats! you found the secret note! You get the cookie!

[Image: super_mario_cookie.jpg]
(05-15-2011, 11:19 AM)Karai16 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-15-2011, 11:18 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]You made the candle float in mid-air... impressive...

congrats! you found the secret note! You get the cookie!

[img][/img]

YES! Thank you very much!!! Great cookie...Big GrinSmileCool
Pages: 1 2 3 4