Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Two issues; Falloff maps and ScreenShake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So yea. Question 1:

Do falloff maps work for Boxlights? They don't seem to.

Question 2:

Is there any way to cancel a ScreenShake? I know screenshakes cancel other things out, like FOVmul, but screenshakes don't seem to end in any way, even by putting another 0 intensity screenshake.
Question 1: What in the world do falloff maps even do? I haven't ever noticed much of a change when using them in the level editor.

2: Screenshakes have a time field, so can you not just set the time to however long you want it to last?
Falloff maps are a white to black gradient that are used as a sort of variable alpha; they dim the light at the end of its radius.

I can't set a specific time because the screen needs to shake until the map changes...but it keeps shaking when the next map loads.
Question 1:
I think they don't. A boxlight has a "constant" light to it's area.

Question 2:
I am guessing that you are having a situation where the screen shakes until the player does something?
Set a timer to create a new screenshake (screenshake should be 1 sec long, no fade time on it) every second, then end the loop when wanted.

(05-18-2011, 03:55 AM)Anxt Wrote: [ -> ]Question 1: What in the world do falloff maps even do? I haven't ever noticed much of a change when using them in the level editor.

They regulate how fast the light fades from the center. For example I think you can use them to increase the circular area where the light is more intensive of a pointlight.

Edit: Model works now btw. Smile
It should work on a boxlight. D:::

Bleh, I don't see why it shouldn't, now I have a bad transition that I have to get rid of. D:

And I guess the timer thing would work, hopefully there's no problems.
Bigzy! Sup man.

1) Acies is right. Box light is what I call the GodBox. Just a way to control global ambient light. There's probably a way that I'm unaware of, but in the suite you can't change it :S

2) Make sure you've got values > 0 for the duration, fadeIn, and fadeOut. I'm guessing if the duration is 0 it will last forever. I have not tried fade times of 0, but having fade times looks better anyway.
To remove ugly edges you could possibly create several smaller boxlights, with fading light values. In that way the transition will be less noticeable.
That doesn't work really because they add onto each other, whether its set as replace or add. I fixed it anyway by adding a black fog and extending the boxlight down.
A boxlight is only really useful as a very dim ambient light for the entire area. Unless you can physically seperate the zones (like with a teleport function) then you are stuck with being able to see the harsh lines.

I haven't got the falloffs to work with it either and I reccomend just sticking with point lights (spot for windows ofc).