Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What Should Frictional Games Make Next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I believe that Penumbra was an amazing series, although Amnesia has made second on my favorite game list (Zelda: Majora's Mask is my personal favorite tied with Ocarina of Time Tongue). I believe that they should create a new game with a different story line - though the game should still have the same eerie atmosphere, darkness, and insane scare methods Amnesia has. Perhaps Amnesia can turn into a series of games that will forever be known as the scariest games created!

Personally, I think Frictional Games should create stories that link together starting from early times (Such as Dark Descent) to present day. However, present day may not be such a good idea since there are a lot more options for light sources (cell phones, flashlights, etc) and could ruin the game. Although, I think that one certain castle/dungeon/mansion or whatever, should be linked and used throughout the time line. Give your personal ideas Smile
Present day claustrophobic scary games have already been masterfully done: Condemned and Condemned 2, Alone In The Dark (Well, not so masterfully done).

I think a medieval game would be idea. Perhaps having a sword could be an option, but the monsters could be ethereal or otherworldly, so your sword is quickly rendered useless. The medieval age has a lot to offer in terms of gritty, scary, pants-wetting gameplay. Smile
Horror is one thing FG excels at, although both their games (and indeed the majority of horror games) focus more on enclosed, claustrophobic environments. I'd like to see if FG can pull off a horror game set in wide open spaces and keep it just as scary as Amnesia or Penumbra. Say, for instance, having to cross a massive open field with terrors hidden in the tall grass or winged beasts soaring invisibly across the night sky. A forest setting would work nicely, what with all the ambient noises and scary silhouettes formed by the vegetation.

Of course bigger environments means a lot more work on the developer's part, but it's an interesting concept.