Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Why is amnesia so awesome?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Amnesia and Penumbra focus on immersing the player into their respective worlds. IMO, they certainly did a good job of doing so. i just started playing amnesia, though i haven't gotten very far, and it is already much scarier than the demo. So what "makes" the game experience for you? if you could pick any aspect of amnesia that would be your favorite and did the best job of making the game enjoyable, or just a better experience for you, what would it be? personally, i really enjoyed the audio in the game. the sound design is incredible, and i would say the combination of the unequaled audio design and the atmosphere definitely has made this game stupidly scary so far.
The lighting was also really well done. I agree with you, the audio was the best aspect, but the way that shadows and rays and outlines of objects and monstrosities was also carefully wrought.
The few enemies for me. 90% of the time, you expect a monster to appear but it doesn't. 10% of the time, you are caught off-guard by a monster that DID appear. The lack of weapons and safety too.
Amnesia and Penumbra were awesome for me because of the puzzles and the music and fluidity of game play and Frames-Per-Second.
1) There is no fighting monsters back
2) The game combines EVERY possible way to scare you. Fear or dark? Fear of monsters? Claustrophobia? Fear of bugs? Fear or mice?....
3) In some places developers VERY WELL anticipated the player's reaction. I think one of the best events so far is the room with the infamous picture...
4) Design is great. Graphics, sound, music, ui (lack of it), controls, models, textures, shader effects, everything! Alltogether its even better!
5) Maximum immersion into the game world - no need to save, no places where you replay a part over and over to get to the next level, no puzzles that make you open a walkthrough...
(07-06-2011, 08:48 PM)Istrebitel Wrote: [ -> ]1) There is no fighting monsters back
2) The game combines EVERY possible way to scare you. Fear or dark? Fear of monsters? Claustrophobia? Fear of bugs? Fear or mice?....
3) In some places developers VERY WELL anticipated the player's reaction. I think one of the best events so far is the room with the infamous picture...
4) Design is great. Graphics, sound, music, ui (lack of it), controls, models, textures, shader effects, everything! Alltogether its even better!
5) Maximum immersion into the game world - no need to save, no places where you replay a part over and over to get to the next level, no puzzles that make you open a walkthrough...

To be honest I don't really buy into the immersion. The loading screens kind of destroy that aspect. Unavoidable i know... well sandboxing could work I guess..
*Why Amnesia is so awesome?*!
Pls fix that.
(07-06-2011, 08:48 PM)Istrebitel Wrote: [ -> ]2) The game combines EVERY possible way to scare you. Fear or dark? Fear of monsters? Claustrophobia? Fear of bugs? Fear or mice?....
Aquaphobia, gymnophobia...
Why does icecream taste good?
I came for the great atmosphere, scares and audio cues.
I stayed for the modding and speedrunning Smile.
Pages: 1 2 3